Church sued over public shaming

by Euphemism 13 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

This isn't about the Witnesses, but I thought the similarities were really interesting:

Does a church have the right to publicly reveal a person's private sins? A Dallas court is being asked to decide whether Watermark Community Church can do exactly that to a man and a woman identified in court records as "John Doe" and "Jane Roe."

Their attorney says that the pair thought they had revealed their sins to Watermark's pastor confidentially and that their behavior should not be made public.

Church officials say they are only following a process of church discipline outlined in the Gospel of Matthew and written into the church's bylaws.

More details at http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/052606dnmetwatermark.21192740.html The Pastor's comment sounds scarily like the Witnesses:

"Basically, we're being sued because we're seeking to love 'John Doe' in accordance with the principles outlined by God's word," said the pastor, the Rev. Todd Wagner.
    Of course, the Witnesses are a lot more legally savvy than this church. By not publicly revealing the 'sin' for which people are disfellowshipped, they avoid legal liability. And by treating disassociation just like disfellowshipping, they attempt to keep control over people even if they resign their membership.
  • loosie
    loosie
    Basically, we're being sued because we're seeking to love 'John Doe'

lol that is illegal in some states...lmbo

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

lol @ loosie! Well, it was illegal in Texas until a few years ago.

• greendawn
    greendawn

It will be interesting to see how that case unfolds how will the state interfere in religious matters something the courts are reluctant to do. But recently a court ruled in favour of a shunned Amish, and the guilty shopkeeper could no longer refuse to serve him.

I am surprised how the WTS gets away on the blood issue by saying it was the dead person's decision not to take blood, given the fact that they had persuaded them not to do so.

• wednesday
    wednesday

well, this is just what I have been saying, this area, the south/southwest are not called the bible best for nothing. churches here are sometimes hard to tell apart from jws.,

• Simon
    Simon

There was a court case in the UK where an exJW sucessfully sued the local congregation for the hurt caused by the public shaming and subsequent shunning.

Sorry, I don't have a reference - it was in the newspaper.

• loosie
    loosie
    There was a court case in the UK where an exJW sucessfully sued the local congregation for the hurt caused by the public shaming and subsequent shunning.

That would be sooooo awesome.They deserve to be sued.

• wednesday
    wednesday

I sent this paper an interesting reply plus the url to an important site that they may be interested in.

• wednesday
    wednesday

this reporter is interested. He is asking for specific examples of anything, shunning, abuse, whatever.

I'm not sure if i post his email address on this board, but it is the article.

if you have a story you woudl like to tell him about anything involivng JWS, send me pm and I'll give you his email address. Or it is in the article. if is is ok, I'll post it on the board. his email address starts with m

This is in a major paper.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Very interesting

WEDS You have a PM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit