The Single Most Dangerous JW Meeting....in my opinion!

by enlightenedcynic 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• Mary
    Mary

No need for that Brother Bruce......I hear the Drama this year is based on this book:

: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1)

Oooooh I'm so excited!!

• jgnat
    jgnat

I'm not so sure that funerals are a prime conversion ground for JW's. My stepmom heard enough of JW antics at funerals and would have nothing to do with them. It's been my experience, too, that JW's behave badly at funerals.

My husband's family is about 1/4 JW, 3/4 non. At the second family funeral, the JW's were excluded from conducting the service (based on their antics at the first one). So the JW's all congregated at the gravesite immediately after the service in a show of solidarity, held hands, and had their own (approved) prayer vigil. Grandstanding. Uck.

• silentWatcher
    silentWatcher

I think I'll go out with song 43 ---------------------------------------- LOL. I'm planning to go out with Kingdom Melody #666: Enter Sandman :-) -silent

• DoubleVision
    DoubleVision

Good Day everyone,

I couldn’t agree with you more EC. It’s such a sales pitch and what pissis me off is that they know dam well that they have a captive audience

that came there not to hear there b__s__t but came out of respect for that person. I always would cringe in my seat when they started to push there doctrines.

Ps I’m sorry to hear about your friend.

• Goldminer
    Goldminer

And I'll bet my next paycheque the speaker at a funeral talk writes down an hour on his field service report.

Goldminer

• bebu
    bebu

When a religious funeral is held, I expect to get a context for death in that service. For example, in a Christian funeral service you should hear a message of hope based upon Christ's resurrection. It would be strange to do such a funeral without that.

And in JW theology, you can't preach hope if you can't preach the Org. The Org. is the hope.

bebu

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Here is part of Rutherford's memorial address delivered at Russell's funeral (and published in the same magazine that later poo-poo'ed eulogies):

• parakeet
    parakeet

WT quote: "True, as Mark Anthony said in his famed funeral oration: 'I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.' So our purpose is not to eulogize or extol creatures, but to consider their example as one to be imitated. ..."
    NeonMadman said, "Actually, Mark Anthony never said any such thing. Shakespeare put the words into his mouth in a fictional play."

Not only that, NeonMadman, to make the irony complete, Mark Anthony was one of the conspirators in the assasination plot of Caesar. WT is illiterate as well as vicious.

• The Mayor of Turiwhate
    The Mayor of Turiwhate

Both Funerals and Weddings are seen by the JWs as a way of getting non-JWs "into the Kingdom Hall"

- as if that is going to somehow make a tremendous difference in their perception of things!

Certainly in the case of weddings and funerals in my family, this idea backfired beautifully everytime:

- before I actually started studying becoming indoctrinated by the dubs, I can recall a family member's comments after having attended a Witless Wedding. She was very impressed all-right - utterly disgusted by the amount of boozing that she saw going on at the reception.

- at my own wedding, I don't every recall anyone coming away that impressed "with how the Witnesses do things" - to quote one of the elders who gave a speech there.

- the last funeral that I attended was for my own son. They did at least allow me into the Kingdom Hall, but I was not exactly welcome, to put things diplomatically! Also, afterwards, at a gathering at the family home, I was practically chucked out. Needless to say, that went down like a lead balloon with all non-JWs who were present!

The dubs have this idea that they are different from all other religions. IF they are different at all, it would be because they are a little more fanatical than most when it comes to putting the boot in.

• Poztate
    Poztate

A few months ago I was talking with my brother on the phone. An Aunt of ours had died and he asked if I wanted to go to the hall for the funeral. I explained to him that I would not be there because they used the time to give an "infomercial" about the "truth" and it had really nothing to do about the person. I was blunt and honest. My wife overheard the conversation and she was not amused.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit