What are some Watchtower rules and customs that have no biblical basis?

by jwfacts 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Wouldn't it be easier to list the ones that *do* have bibical basis??

I'm thinking there'd be a much shorter list. (Like maybe just 10 bullet points...)

-Apostate Aude.

• proplog2
    proplog2

Washing each others feet.

Ooops. That was a command from Jesus they choose to ignore.

• loosie
    loosie

Not questioning your religion. If fact the boreans made sure of all things.

• Poztate
    Poztate
    (Damn Im helpless here is there a quotes mirror available anyone know where the latest one is?)

www.reexamine.org Quotes mirror and a lot of interesting downloads

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Wow, there is a lot that I hadn't thought of.

Mysterious mentions the no slacks rule for woman. This and suits are on the basis of meetings being business attire. I work in the business centre of Sydney and regularly present to top Management level, so get to see what the pinnacle of business attire is. The other day I took note of how many woman getting off the train wear dresses to work and how many wear slacks. It was about 80% of woman wear slacks, very few dresses by comparison. Many men no longer wear ties to work as well. It appears the WTS came up with these rules in the 30's and never check to see if they are still up to date.

• Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Don't forget the whole reporting thing at the end of the month has no scriptural basis.

I can think of a few others:

Brothers having to wear a tie at meetings.
    Can't celebrate Birthdays.
    Not standing for the national anthem.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Hi DK, Good to see you back on the board. Lets catch up some time.

Birthdays is a good one. I have seen JWs get in a real tangle and hugely embarrased trying to explain this to worldly people without sounding like total tools.

• Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Yeah I remember feeling like a tool whenever i tried to explain it. It's got to be some of the dumbest watchtower logic that goes behind the no birthdays rule.

Yeah we should catch up sometime soon. I've been snowed under with work but i should be right in 2 or 3 weeks.

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

Everyone has forgotten that JW,s don't do these things

because they have to

they do them because they want to.

At least that was the BS excuse I remember.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Good point moopoo,

We always tried to tell ourselves that we didn't want to do any of those evil practices, like somehow telling ourselves that made it true.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit