Friday District Convention notes: Control, control, control

by truthseeker 46 Replies latest jw friends

• serendipity
    serendipity

Hi Nina,

I used to have to endure the Houston Astrodome - so the FWCC is pleasant in comparison! I usually take in the sights of downtown FW during the lunch break. I miss the Water Park though - hopefully it's in operation this summer.

• mariposa
    mariposa

Oh wow...I haven't been to any meetings since 2002 and I can't believe I was caught hook, line and sinker by them. Geesh..I used to faithfully take notes, nod where appropiate and think yes,yes so true that we need these reminders.

WHAT WAS I THINKING!!!!!!

It all seems so much clearer now.

• luna2
    luna2

I could so see myself sitting there in a half-stupor trying not to fall asleep totally and drool all over my Bible...and that's when I was still in thrall to the WTS. Now, I don't think I could get through half a day of that buffoonery. Yeah, I'll give you a 1" paintbrush, you moron. Ugh!

Thank goodness there's a Barnes & Noble just a few blocks from the FW convention center. That'll be a nice place for an extra long lunch.

Now there's an idea. I could easily spend the whole afternoon there. The ham and cheese on pretzel bread is excellent. Eat lunch, find a good book, and park yourself in a comfy chair until you have to go back. Mmmmm, lovely.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

actually with the Jehovah delivered them deal it seems like the FDS is jealous of christians saying Jesus had given them inner peace etc. What is odd at least to me, the way the talks are pointing and the less emphasis on the paradise earth hope, it seems like there might be some sort of attempt to say the orginization IS the paradise spoken of in the bible in Revelation. I actually made a joke like that once to my mom and she hushed me and quickly changed the subject, but re-reading the notes some of the talks seem to subtly be pointing that way.

But yeah, for the most part same old same old, I think if I were still in the org I would be going off for LONG lunches and ditching most of the assemblies if I even went. I don't see how these thousands of people get out of work on a friday for these assemblies, seriously maybe it's because I'm just starting my job but I know even my more leanient job I had gave me 15 vacation days, and 10 sick days. 10 sick days is nothing really, and 15 days is basically 2 vacations and 5 shit happens days, I'd be angry having to use one each year for the assembly...but I guess that's why I'm not in the org anymore

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Thank you truthseeker and everyone else who will be attending this year! I went to a DC a few years ago and only stayed for one one day... it was absolutely mind numbing.

You're taking one for the team!!!!

• anewme
    anewme

I tried very hard to do as they said. I was very obedient. Both my husband and I were good little zombies for the org.

But it played with my head too much over 35 years in the long run. Not exercising my own will in matters left me open to the slick suggestions and will of others.

I eventually was obeying just about anybody who asked me to do anything!

I even went to my doctor and asked for a pill to dummy down so I would be a good and obedient wife.
    She said there wasnt one. She said I was in a sick relationship with my husband and the Watchtower Society called "enmeshment" where my will was dangerously entwined with theirs. Three wills, husbands, Watchtowers. and mine all fighting for supremacy inside my head.

The crazy behavoir that followed such a state of mind ended with the org making the decision to kick me out.

What a sad ending to my witness life. I just couldnt recover from being dfd. Too much shame and punishment for me. I think in my heart I felt I could never recover what I lost so I just fled to another town far away and said goodbye forever to family and friends.

Today I live in exile on a beautiful mountain comforted all around by trees and clouds and little creatures.

Anewme

• LuckyNun
    LuckyNun

Wow, truthseeker, I'm sorry you have to endure the convention, but thank you for posting your notes. It reaffirms my faith in myself, that I made the right decision when I left.

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Dear Underscore_Believer,

Yes, they said it alright!! My husband got up at the begining of this talk I thought to go walkaround. Since neither of us really wanted to be there. He left me sitting there alone with my Grandmother. Right before it was over, he came and sat back down. It was nice timing for him. I leaned over and asked him if he heard any of this talk? He rolled his eyes and shook his head and said he had been standing up in the back and heard the whole thing! He was as disgusted with the whole thing and he felt as insulted with the baby/paintbrush illustrations as I was. I just wonder how many active JWs were offended by this or did they just sit there and agree??

L.L.

• enlightenedcynic
    enlightenedcynic

Truthseeker,

I truly feel your pain. In about 2 weeks, I too will have to attend a DC and listen to the mindless drivel being spewed from the podium. I have to go because there is much...much...much to be lost if the wife ever senses the slightest bit of doubt from me.

For fun though, I plan to count the number of people sleeping before the first talk ends, and that suddenly snap to attention to applaud a part they didn't hear.

ec

• Highlander
    Highlander

I have to go because there is much...much...much to be lost if the wife ever senses the slightest bit of doubt from me.

I feel your pain. I hope it goes as well as possible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit