Overheard in a public library

by under_believer 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

Concerning the "Jesus Eyes" bit - the territory that I "pioneered" in contained a significant number of persons who had that look.

As a callow, Witness (Witless?) indoctrinated youth, myself and others believed that such ones were "demonised" - and wanted to run like hell every time from such an encounter!

On another note; I too have always been an avid reader. Unfortunately, from the age of eleven onwards, I read every WTS book and magazine that I could get access to. (With a JW grandmother supplying the house with literature, that meant practically everything).

Growing up in a remote area, with no TV reception and well before the Internet was ever even imagined, this meant that WTS literature had a near total monopoly.

I now know why my life was screwed up so badly for so long!

• willyloman
    willyloman

Terrific thread. So nice to hear sane religious talk after 30 years of immersion in dubspeak.

• Miss_MG
    Miss_MG

Did you tell your parents what happend in the library?if so how did they react?

• under_believer
    under_believer

Miss_MG, no. I didn't tell them. I felt at the time that sharing that experience with them would invite greater scrutiny of my choices of reading material, which I was desperately loathe to change. And I sensed that the missionary sister wouldn't tell anyone either, perhaps out of a desire to avoid telling people that she was overstepping her boundaries and into my parent's territory. And it appears that I was right, because nobody ever said anything about it to me again.

• serendipity
    serendipity

HI under_believer,

I also got lectured for my love of Nancy Drew from my overzealous pioneer aunt. I managed to redeem myself by reading ALL the WT literature I could get my hands on, including some pretty wild stuff from the 1930's that I don't recall the titles of.

• juni
    juni

What a self-rightous b****!! Excuse me, but when was she put in charge of your soul? For some of these people, their station in the org. goes to their head. I've seen it first hand. The organization breeds this kind of attitude.

By the way, Hardy boy books are great. My son read the series and still has them. He's 35. My daughter read the Nancy Drew series. Based upon what were these books no good? But Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty, etc. were no good either. They weren't printed by the WT Society.

Juni

• under_believer
    under_believer

juni, it was ENTIRELY based on the picture on the cover. Even my conservative mom was okay with Hardy Boys after she read a couple and realized that it was innocent, but this missionary sister saw the picture and that was enough for her. It was a skull or a zombie or something. I don't remember the actual title, but it was one that looked something like this:

• juni
    juni

She speaks out of ignorance and makes herself a fool. So many jump to conclusions, you know? I always said, "who died and made you God."

Juni

• jgnat
    jgnat

Gaiagirl, thank you, I think, for that unforgettable imagery.

Abaddon - Random page on wikipedia - me too!

Leolaia - why am I surprised! Ain't it great you didn't put your talent to waste. The thought of you giving up college to pioneer full-time and make a nice little elder's wife.........

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit