Do you group think or think for yourself?

by free2beme 22 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

As a Witness, I was very prone to follow the group of thinking that was in the Kingdom Hall and not speak out for myself. I am sure a lot of us would agree, this is the general pattern of most good little Witnesses. Yet, in my post-Witness life experience, I have learned this is about as common a thing in life, as there could be. For example, while working, the managers can seem like really cool people on a individual basis. Yet when something has to be done, or a decision is made, that your know the individual would protest. They suddenly become this stubborn wall of group thinking, that can not be reasoned with, even if they are proven to be wrong. I think this becomes some sort of locked group, that is holding themselves together in times like this, and moving one without moving them all is a feeling of instability. As I have grown older, I have come to accept this behavior in people, although at first I was immature in thinking it was only those Witnesses who did it. Yet, I try as hard as I can to try to not be in this mold in this day and age. Which is often very hard. How do you view your own life, do you consider yourself to be someone who easily falls into "group thinking" are do you truly think for yourself? As a joke, we always say "group thinkers" make good managers!

• jgnat
    jgnat

Brains are immensely tricky business. If I were a 'group thinker' how in the heck would I know?

• free2beme
    free2beme

That is so true, we fool ourselves on many levels. There are the micro examples of managers in a work place, to the monstrous example of religion and even politics.

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass

I believe I truly think for myself... Maybe sometimes I let the herb think for me... And occasionally I'll think for the group...

• atypical
    atypical

I think about groups by myself. I wonder if I have traded one group mentality for another. My biggest wish is to live based on the knowledge the is available, not the influence of peers or pop.

• atypical
    atypical

I hate it when I spell wrong. "the knowledge that is available" - there we go.

• penny2
    penny2

I think I think for myself but it's nice to be in a group that thinks like me!!

• Panda
    Panda

Are you saying that group think is a bad thing? Because it seems to work well for lawmakers and wolves; and any other carnivores who hunt intandem. Do I want to think like other people? Well maybe some people, especially if they think like me. C'mon Panda hugs all around...

• blondie
    blondie

Which group? We are simultaneously in various groups. Then there is the larger group we can't even encompass...the human race...is there a group think at that level. And what about the groups we aren't aware of yet share their views.

Can you do both, at times research the group think and agree with it, or at other times reject it?

Blondie

• jgnat
    jgnat

I'd maintain that someone who is consistently anti-group is also trapped by their own thinking.

True independent thinking would mean that at times you'd agree with the group, and at other times not.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit