I roomed with a DRUNK BETHEL ELDER at Bethel - My Bethel Story

by What-A-Coincidence 33 Replies latest jw friends

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

I felt sorry for the guy - i mean he has been there for about 30 years and nothing to fall back on. I guess I would start drinking too.

• luna2
    luna2

Aren't these the guys they are getting rid of now too? Ones who have given up their youth in Jehohum's service? Ones who are now at an age where it isn't easy to start over? Ones who's health is starting to fail? For his sake, I hope his position is such that he still has a job with the WTS.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

I'll never forget this story.
    I was studying with a particular elder who kept trying to 'relate' to me. One time during the study he asked me
    'have you ever kissed a girl that smoked?'
    I said no. Then he replied
    'Back when I was at Bethel there was this time we went to a night club and I was just standing there and this girl that was smoking planted one on me, it was gross'
    I just thought to myself, what the hell kind of story is this?!?!?
    A favorite phrase of mine ever since has been
    Back when I was at Bethel...

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

One time, at band camp...

No Apologies

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence
    'Back when I was at Bethel there was this time we went to a night club

the majority of bethel discplines are 1) drinking 2) going to clubs ... a while back many were being disfellowshiped (from WKL) for going to mosh pits. anyone remember this?

• What-A-Coincidence
  • cyberguy
    cyberguy

When I was in Bethel, I knew of several heavy drinkers on the GB! Also, when C. Barber was in the circuit work, he was well known for his wet bar in the trunk of his car. I remember as a teenager at a get-together for the CO, I was asked to get something out of the back of his car, and there were boxes of heavy liquor. This guy bought the good stuff too! Not that I’m against drinking, I've been known to snort a few, but this guy was well-know for self medicating while in the circuit work.

• greendawn
    greendawn

The JWs have a strange tolerence towards alcohol and child abuse. The drinking tolerence could be a legacy from Rutherford who was himself an alcoholic, as for Greenlees he liked touching male children.

• mouthy
    mouthy

I am a" tea tottler"(sp) I was counseled againt it. They said it was sending a wrong message to my studies ( at this time I had 10) It looked as if I was being Pious by NOT being a drinker.... Thank God it didnt make me start drinking.....I lived with drunks> That to me is hell

• loosie
    loosie

One time, at band camp...

No Apologies

No Apologies, you took the words right out of my mouth

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit