From Lurker to Newbie

by Warlock 54 Replies latest jw experiences

• Warlock
    Warlock

This is my first post and it is extremely difficult, but where else can I go? I'm sure not going to join another religion and most of you have been where I have. Just for the record, I was a drunk, drug addict and dabbler in spiritism when I began studying, which also makes it difficult, because the J.W.'s saved my life.

Anyway, I was baptized at Dodger Stadium in the early 1980's. I was appointed M.S. about a year later. I stepped down about 4-5 years later because one of my addictions came back. I felt so guilty that even today, over 20 years later, no one knows about this, until now. I made the excuse that family responsibilities were overwhelming me, which they were, anyway. I was also tired. Meetings, conventions,assemblies, studying for meetings, personal study, preparing parts, field service requirements of at least 1 hour over the national average. You all know what I'm talking about.

Eventually, I became inactive and then became active again, repeating this cycle a few more times. The funny thing about being inactive, is, you think "Is it me, or is it the org? Why can't I live up to the requirements? Everyone else seems to be doing it". The point is, I am inactive now for about 4 years, but who knows. I didn't mark it on the calender. I can remember 2 visits from the elders and c.o. in my life.

How did I get to this point? I woke up one day, not that long ago, and realized I have just lost over 20 years of my life, waiting for something that is probably not going to come in my lifetime, but I was told that it would be coming "soon". I did not prepare for the future, which has become the present. Couldn't they have said, from the platform: "Brothers, we feel that we are living in the last days. We are not sure how long this time period is going to be, so you need to live your life in such a way, that if you should get old and die in this system, you will have made the appropriate plans for the future. This system may last longer than we think, since no one knows the day or the hour."

I hope this isn't too long, but I do have more to say at another time, under another heading, or maybe just on someone else's post. Thanks for listening.

• BritBoy
    BritBoy

Welcome Warlock

You will find much support and genuine understanding on this site. Feel free to express how you feel anytime anywhere!

Brit

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Welcome Warlock! Glad you finally decided to join in!

Coffee

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

Dear Warlock,

Most excellent 1st post dude.

I have just lost over 20 years of my life

There are lot that have "lost" more years. I've "lost" 25. I am just starting over. I was at Bethel and served as an Elder and thought I HAD IT ALL. I am grateful for JWD. Welcome to the familiy.

Post away man. This site works wonders.

-wac

• daystar
    daystar
    Couldn't they have said, from the platform: "Brothers, we feel that we are living in the last days. We are not sure how long this time period is going to be, so you need to live your life in such a way, that if you should get old and die in this system, you will have made the appropriate plans for the future. This system may last longer than we think, since no one knows the day or the hour."

Oh no, that would be way too honest a way to present it, and it allows the rank & file JWs a little too much worldly freedom. Depressing, I know.

Welcome to the board, warlock! I hope you find what you're looking for.

• luna2
    luna2

Welcome to JWD, Warlock.

Its kind of a shocker to wake up after 20+ years and realize that the WTS lied...and they didn't care who they hurt either. Doesn't matter to them if you have no pension or 401K or you never bought a house or saved a dime for the future. Yeah, you'd think if they had an ounce of humility or compassion, they would have done what you suggested...but Nooooo. Jerks.

• Merry Magdalene
    Merry Magdalene

Welcome! Glad you decided to make the transition. It felt weird to me when I first posted here too.

Your remark:

"Is it me, or is it the org? Why can't I live up to the requirements? Everyone else seems to be doing it".

reminded me of when I was a motel housekeeper and I couldn't get up to speed doing everything I needed to do in the alotted amount of time. It seemed like all the other girls did fine. I tried harder and harder, ran myself ragged. Then I discovered they were all cheating, taking shortcuts, not doing everything they were supposed to. Turned out it would have been as impossible for them as it was for me.

Anyway...hope you stick around and post lots.

~Merry

• delilah
    delilah

Welcome Warlock.....glad you're no longer a lurker, but a poster.You will find peace of mind here as you begin to heal your WT wounds.

• Gregor
    Gregor

I've often observed that there are a lot of people for whom ANY kind of structured discipline with some moral code can be just exactly what they need to overcome problems like you mention. That doesn't make any of them THE TRUTH. JW's have served their purpose in your life, time to move on. Welcome.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Yo, Warlock - welcome!

Yeah, lots of us have been where you are. Here's the place to deal with it. I was in the JWs for over 30 years. I don't consider them all lost, but how different life would have been without that in there.

Oh well. It's never too late to have a happy childhood someone once said. You get the idea.

S4

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit