Not swearing is proof of the "truth"

by pennycandy 20 Replies latest jw friends

• pennycandy
    pennycandy

This was a said by my JW relative to my never-been-JW husband this weekend, during a conversation about the prevalence of swearing.

"My friend Maria's husband [was unbelieving mate, now a Witness] always swore like a sailor. He said he could see Jehovah's Witnesses had the truth because they didn't use bad language."

For all the reasons for believing JW's have The Truth, this was a new one to me.

• jstalin
    jstalin

That always cracks me up. I could never understand how the bible forbids words such as "sh*t" and "b*tch."

• parakeet
    parakeet

Let's see if I can follow this reasoning: Not swearing is proof of the truth. JWs don't swear. Therefore, JWs have the truth. That's one profound argument.
    Lemme try one: Abstaining from alcohol is proof of good moral character. Hitler abstained from alcohol. Therefore, Hitler had good moral character.
    Anyone else want to play?

• Dune
    Dune

Peter loved swearing.

Matthew 26:75.

Then he began to curse, and he swore an oath, "I do not know the man!"

Why cant we?

• KW13
    KW13

but swearing is basically a shortcut, saving us giving a full blown description of how much we detest someone or what we think they are...hell, i've heard my stepdad swear, better tell that guy cos it must mean they are NOT the truth!

• blondie
    blondie

Obviously, they haven't been around the JWs I knew. One swore all the time at his JW employees, and he was a JW.

Another swore all the time at home at his family.

Then I have know a Buddhist, a Mormon, a Baptist who would never use a foul word...ever.

Blondie

• unique1
    unique1

I work with several people who don't swear and they are devout baptists.

• riverofdeceit
    riverofdeceit

f*ck that

• Mary
    Mary
    "My friend Maria's husband always swore like a sailor. He said he could see Jehovah's Witnesses had the truth because they didn't use bad language."

No shit eh? Guess that counts me out. Actually, I think I'll have some fun with this one:

"My friend Maria's husband always drank like a fish. He said he could see Jehovah's Witnesses had the truth because they didn't drink."

"My friend Maria's husband always saved for his retirement. He said he could see Jehovah's Witnesses had the truth because they didn't."

"My friend Maria's husband always loved their kids no matter what. He said he could see Jehovah's Witnesses had the truth because they didn't."

"My friend Maria's husband went to university. He said he could see Jehovah's Witnesses had the truth because they didn't. "

"My friend Maria's husband openly debated theology with his minister. He said he could see Jehovah's Witnesses had the truth because they didn't weren't allowed to.

Need I go on?

• lowden
    lowden

Nice post Mary!

Not swearing is proof of the 'truth'?????

Bollocks!! Which by the way is NOT swearing, but an old English word meaning 'nonsense'.

We all swear, to a greater or lesser degree and i've heard many, MANY JW's swear quite fruitily.

Peace

Lowden

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit