interesting experience....

by hallowedbethyname 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• hallowedbethyname
    hallowedbethyname

Hello all.

Just wanted to pass along an experience that I had about a month or so ago.

I was invited to a JW wedding of a friend of mine.

Also invited was a 'marked' brother who is a very close friend of the bride. He was recently marked after the invitations were sent out, so he came along with his 'worldly girlfriend'.

Anyways, long story short, about 10 upstanding JW's decided to make a stink just before the bride and groom were to enter the reception hall to do their first dance. (oooh, those classy JW's) They got in their face and asked why this brother was there. Groom explained that his marking occurred after he was invited, and he was not going to send him home. The JW mouths just dropped. Sad to say, even one of the bridal party participants was in on this charade and ended up leaving after dinner. So these zealous JW's left the wedding, thereby protecting their beloved relationship with jehovah.

Another fun-filled evening of JW love at its best.

HBTN

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    Sad to say, even one of the bridal party participants was in on this charade and ended up leaving after dinner.

Obviously. "After dinner" means they ate first and then left. What upstanding JW would refuse to eat a free meal with anyone? This sounds like something my parents would have done.

I had many arguments with them over how we should treat those in the congregation who were having "spiritual problems" (the only context in which they would discuss the issue). It seemed to me that Christians would wrap up the "errant ones" with both arms, instead of encouraging them to step farther away.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• jstalin
    jstalin

Sounds like a blast.

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

What exactly do you mean by marked? Reproved? Dfed? or just weak? Either way, its stupid.

• luna2
    luna2

What a bunch of idiots! Must prove to Jehooblah that we are holy...doesn't matter if we disrupt a friend's wedding with our judgemental BS...as long as demonstrate what super fine dubs we is.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Quick don't let our truthness get dirty!

• hallowedbethyname
    hallowedbethyname

buttlight:

not sure if this is a new term or not. I think it just means spiritually weak, and there-by not good association.

either way its really stupid. I tried discussing it with some of my JW friends, but the subject got kiboshed very quickly. No negative talk about the mother organization and its ways.

HBTN

• blondie
    blondie
    Sad to say, even one of the bridal party participants was in on this charade and ended up leaving after dinner.

Obviously. "After dinner" means they ate first and then left. What upstanding JW would refuse to eat a free meal with anyone? This sounds like something my parents would have done.

Exactly, my reaction when reading this. Actually, JWs excel in making gnat things into camels.

Strain out the gnat, gulp down the camel.

BTW, Israelites were allowed to marry non-Israelites.

(Deuteronomy 21:10-13) 10

"In case you go out to the battle against your enemies and Jehovah your God has given them into your hand and you have carried them away captive; 11 and you have seen among the captives a woman beautiful in form, and you have got attached to her and taken her for your wife, 12 you must then bring her into the midst of your house. She must now shave her head and attend to her nails, 13 and remove the mantle of her captivity from off her and dwell in your house and weep for her father and her mother a whole lunar month; and after that you should have relations with her, and you must take possession of her as your bride, and she must become your wife.

Blondie

(WTS explanation: (keep in mind that somehow this women has no memory of her past)

w04 9/15 p. 28 Questions From Readers ***

The situation was different, though, in the case of foreign women in general. In this regard, this principle applied: "You must form no marriage alliance with them. Your daughter you must not give to his son, and his daughter you must not take for your son." (Deuteronomy 7:3) What was the reason for this restriction? Deuteronomy 7:4 says: "For he will turn your son from following me, and they will certainly serve other gods." The prohibition, then, was for the purpose of protecting the Israelites from religious contamination. However, a foreign woman in the circumstances described at Deuteronomy 21:10-13 presented no such threat. All her relatives were dead, and images representing her gods were destroyed. She had no contact with practicers of false religion. An Israelite was allowed to marry a foreigner under such circumstances.

• snarf
    snarf

Wow, pathetic. It never ceases to amaze me of the level of immaturity.

• La Capra
    La Capra

I thought "marking" was an individual decision, and that you really weren't supposed to announce to others if you were marking someone. (Even though everyone knew, because of the "special needs talk, and the subsequent gossip.) I s'pose you could tell the person you were marking, but, then you would be braking your own private shun-fest, now wouldn't you....

If he was on public, or even private reproof, he would have been accepting of his punishment and would not have attended the reception, thus manifesting his contrition.

Or are things really this snotty these days?

Shoshana

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit