Me and my feet - the good and the bad news

by Lady Lee 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Well A few have asked how I am doing so I thought I would just give y'all the bad and good.

The bad news:

I'm still in pain. After all the tests: blood, xray, bone scans, ultrasound, MRI, circulation tests, nerve conduction tests they still can't find one thing wrong. Other than having really high arches there just isn't anything wrong at that end of my body.

So it seems the problem is all in my head Yup but not in the way one normally thinks. Seems my brain is working overtime telling me my feet hurt. Not sure if it also causing the swelling though.

The good news:

After all the tests: blood, xray, bone scans, ultrasound, MRI, circulation tests, nerve conduction tests they still can't find one thing wrong. Other than having really high arches there just isn't anything wrong at that end of my body.

So it seems the problem is all in my head Yup but not in the way one normally thinks. Seems my brain is working overtime telling me my feet hurt. Not sure if it also causing the swelling though.

Since the problem seems to be in my head we are trying some new meds. Before I started the new meds I was sleeping very poorly - waking up 3-4 times a night. The doctor said this new med would take up to a month to begin working so I wasn't expecting anything for a while. The first day I took it I slept through and in the past month only had one difficult night. At first I thought it was just a coincidence but the sleep is vastly improved.

The other thing this is doing is taking the edge off the pain especially at night. Before I started this I was in so much pain at night that I would just sit here and rock back and forth waiting for the meds to kick in. Now I still have the pain but it isn't at bad.

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

((((((((Lady Lee))))))))

ESTEE

• luna2
    luna2

Geeze, LL, that's so weird that they can't find anything causing the pain (and swelling ?) Glad they are trying new meds though...and being able to sleep through the night is excellent..

• LDH
    LDH

((((((((((LL)))))))

Have you tried custom made arch supports? They are molded to your feet to provide support where shoes don't.

Lisa

• freedomlover
    freedomlover

(((((LL)))))

I hope the new medicine your on helps your brain tell your feet not to hurt so much! :)

love - freedomlover

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Lady Lee, I heard that your feet smell and your nose runs; perhaps you should spend some time on your head to try and bring balance back.

But seriously, it really sucks when you're really in pain or suffering, but the tests don't show anything abnormal. I hope someone gets a bright idea and stumbles onto the key to your suffering.

• Swan
    Swan

I'm glad they could find something to ease the pain. Getting the proper rest should help too. When you are in pain, you can't sleep, which makes the pain worse, so you still can't sleep... and on it goes in a vicious cycle. Maybe these meds will help break that cycle or at least let you get enough rest to help de-escalate the level of pain.

Tammy

• wednesday
    wednesday

sounds like RSD

see pm

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

LDH

Have you tried custom made arch supports? They are molded to your feet to provide support where shoes don't.

I've tried seven different custom made orthotics, several brands of over-the-counter ones, metatarsal pads and inserts. I've tried the cutom ones made three different ways (staning in foam) plaster casts with my feet pointing up and another with them pointing down, hard ones soft ones, full foot ones and partials. My head gets dizzy when a Dr suggests them.

The main problem with orthotics is the swelling. If the orthotic is made one day when my feet are "normal" then they swell and by the time I get it back the orthotics becomes more painful. Dr's suggest I use them for a week. And I have tried but unless the swellin is gone there is no way the orthotics will work

freedomlover

I hope the new medicine your on helps your brain tell your feet not to hurt so much! :)

Estee, luna

Thanks

Stephanus

Lady Lee, I heard that your feet smell and your nose runs; perhaps you should spend some time on your head to try and bring balance back.

If I thought it would work I think I would try it.

Swan

Getting the proper rest should help too. When you are in pain, you can't sleep, which makes the pain worse, so you still can't sleep... and on it goes in a vicious cycle.

That is a huge problem. Before I started the new med even when I was sleeping I was so restless that the covers would be totally turned around on the bed - the sides became the top and bottom. I was terribly restless.

And for sure - when I am tired I have a harder time dealing with the pain. I'm out of that cycle for now.

This ned med can be increased if I need it. We'll see what happens

I was just reading an interesting article about the link between depression and pain. I don't feel depressed. I do feel frustrated by this whole thing.

But I have to wonder if the years and years of abuse and depression didn't take it's toll on my brain's ability to function normally - this new med is an SSRI and links to the chemical serotonin in the brain. I'm trying to find some info on serotonin depletion and what the symptoms would be. still looking and never giving up.

The other really good news and I don't know why I forgot but I need your thoughts with me on June 14th. I am going with a laywer to appeal my application for disability. I've been rejected twice and started a year and a half ago. So I am hoping that it goes well for me.

• parakeet
    parakeet

Hope things start turning around for you, healthwise and with your appeal. Will be thinking about you on the 14th. Please keep us updated.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit