Voting at meetings

by wozadummy 21 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• wozadummy
    wozadummy

Years ago when I went to meetings there were announcements made about use of money ,whether to redecorate halls, send money to the Society etc. and I used to vote like everyone else looking around to see if there were any detractors. Well one day I had thought about the procedure and came up with this:

1. Everyone seems to vote the way that's obvious as it would seem disloyal to vote any other way

2. Is'nt this a non political org and yet here we are voting democratically - if indeed this is Gods org why would we need to vote over money as the Elders should be trusted to manage these minor things especially in view of the fact that they are appointed to deal with peoples LIVES and emotions to the point of making grevious errors in some cases, where is the consistency?

I stopped voting for these reasons and explained this if queried by others but they always went quiet, what are your thoughts?

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, the elders can't be trusted. I was glad that there was at least the semblance of letting the congregation make the money decisions. Paying the mortgage, utilities, KH maintenance, regular monthly payments, don't require a congregation resolution and vote. Everything else does, including paying the COs expenses. If they didn't do this, the congregation would never know what the money was being spent on.

Blondie

• wozadummy
    wozadummy

Hi Blondie ,you are right some things are paid for like utilities without a vote and that was the thing, why not all things?, for the account balance and expense details are always presented from the platform once a month anyway so everyone would know where the dollars go.

My perspective was from back then when I trusted the Society to see to ALL things as being in the best interest of the publishers. Since then I have found how corrupt it all is and don't attend but I believe this all shows how God is not backing them and it was maybe one more doubt that over the years contributed to me leaving

• blondie
    blondie

Believe me, the WTS knew from experience that some kind of control had to be exerted. After all, money spent foolishly within the congregation was money that would not go to them.

It is pretty much what happens in most organizations. I'm in a union on the executive board and one time expenses are moved, seconded, discussed, then voted on almost just like at the KH. Only expenses incurred regularly every month are not voted on.

As one brother said, "We're not in the new system yet" referring to the honesty of each and every JW.

Blondie

• just2sheep
    just2sheep

this was never meant to be a control of the elders kind of thing. for one thing, at least around here, the procedure was for the boe to purchase something or commit some funds( donations, co, etc.) and then take a vote to see if the congregation approved!!! even after we quit voting and even voted no on somethings, the abstentions and negative votes were never reported. i have seen them buy land, carpet, chairs, paint, wallpaper, and signs using this method...i always thought it had something to do with dealing with the government, probably having to do with their beloved tax free status. we were even told at a meeting that "the congregation" had no idea about some of the things the boe did in the name of the congregation, having to do with donating money to individuals in need. the elder seemed proud of this fact. this is the same man who told everyone during a watchtower study, in his usual arrogant manner, that it wouldn't do any good to complain to the gb about him because if you write them a letter the "arrangement" was to handle it by sending that letter to him, we were already aware of this but i think it suprised a few people. he let everyone know he thought this was a wonderful arrangement.

there is no control over these men when it comes to the rank and file. the borg has absolutely no interest in controlling them except for cases that impact the mighty compound at bethel. when i first questioned new york about this(voting) i was told that it wasn't a "vote" it was an "opinion poll" and there was nothing wrong with asking the congregation for their opinion in such matters. this may have been my first encounter with theocratic warfare though at the time i just thought they were lies, damnable lies...i still do.. edited to add...this took place more than ten years ago and nothing has changed.

j2s

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

It's a shame more congregations were/are not like the one I came from. I did the accounts for awhile. Let me tell you that it was one or two families that had a "few bucks" who paid for most of the expenses. Consequently they called most of the shots. Aside from the money they'd put in, (and yes one was an "elder" & his "elderette" wife) all there'd be in those donation boxes were moths and pocket lint.

ps: You'd never vote against anything they wanted or you'd be sent to hell. a.k.a the common grave of mankind.

Dismembered

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

I've voted against at many an occasion, and at others I have abstained.

• freetosee
    freetosee

The voting at meetings is pseudo-democratic, be it monetary matters or resolutions. I always followed along and never saw any voting against whatever came from the platform.

Freetosee

• heathen
    heathen

I remember one of them votes , it was to pay for the CO visit . I still don't get how a congregation that couldn't pay it's own bills would vote to pay for the COs exspenses . I mean they were always crying over the money spent on the million dollar kingdom hall . Most people I knew were lucky they had a ride to the meetings and that's all they would do is try and rub their noses in congregation debt . Sick bastards .

• blondie
    blondie

I have seen voting that created congregation turmoil.

1. What times to have the meetings; especially if sharing with another congregation(s). They finally made the time rotate every year.

2. Remodeling projects; I have seen people get a group organized to support their wishes.

3. It is suicide to buck the elders, even if you are an elder.

4. At least they had to put it out in the open. The worst situations were where a vote was taken and the BOE did what they wanted anyway in spite of the congregation's wishes. Saw that backfire; the rank and file stopped donating.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit