How Do I Get Rid of these Thoughts?

by jwfacts 25 Replies latest watchtower medical

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

JWfacts

The counsellor I'm seeing has explained it to me this way: The brain is always making connections to the past, to what is already known, and trying to establish patterns. It is a survival mechanism which can be very useful at times, very annoying and frustrating at other times. As JW's, our minds were conditioned, or trained, to think in certain patterns, over a period of many years for some of us. If we want to change those beliefs and substitute new ones we can, but the old patterns are still there. It is a gradual process of building new brain connections. It happens over time. Being aware of the thoughts when they arise is half the battle. The other half is just acknowledging the thought as being part of your previous conditioning (not beating yourself up for still thinking that way). Then consciously letting it go and reminding yourself of your new belief (pattern). It sounds a little corny, I know, but it does work over time. It is just a gradual retraining of the brain. Like forming a new habit.

I find that talking things over with a counsellor is helpful because even though I no longer believe anything the org has to say, after 40 yrs of conditioning, I am constantly falling in to patterns of black or white, all or nothing, thinking as well as perfectionism and guilt in other areas of my life. It is like second nature to me and I don't even realize I'm doing it half the time. So it is helpful to have an objective person to point this out to me when I'm making major life changes.

Check out Lady Lee's threads on "Taking Back Your Life". There's a lot of good stuff in there about mind control. The good news is our minds are really in our own control now!

Cog

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

JWFacts my fiance has been working on this with me too. He has this new thing when he can tell I am having thoughts like that he goes

What would the brothers think?

It makes me laugh and believe it or not its making me less suscetible (spelling?) to those types of thoughts.

• deeskis
    deeskis

Facts,

"This too shall pass"

It takes time to undo the brainwashing, but give it time.

I'm learning a Neil Young song - Comes a Time. and the words seem appropriate:-

Comes a time
    when you're driftin'
    Comes a time
    when you settle down
    Comes a light
    feelin's liftin'
    Lift that baby
    right up off the ground.

Oh, this old world
    keeps spinning round
    It's a wonder tall trees
    ain't layin' down
    There comes a time.

You and I we were captured
    We took our souls
    and we flew away
    We were right
    we were giving
    That's how we kept
    what we gave away.

Oh, this old world
    keeps spinning round
    It's a wonder tall trees
    ain't layin' down
    There comes a time.

best wishes

D

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Thanks guys,

You are lucky Miss Peaches to have and understanding boyfriend.

• beachbum
    beachbum

It's been about 20 years since I stepped foot into a KH. I have not pursued any other religion, but have been married (for the last 18 years) to a Catholic which has exposed me to the religion. My wonderful mother in law helped me step foot into a church (and promised I would not be struck, lol). I feel like an outsider with alot of things. My parents are no longer JW's nor my sister. We celebrate the traditional Christian holidays. I get very annoyed at my mother for making a huge deal over Christmas and birthdays (hello where were you 20 years ago ); I do not enjoy the celebration on my family side. However, enjoy the celebrations on my in-law side.

Yet I do feel like an outsider at so many events and celebrations.

• thecarpenter
    thecarpenter

I feel that way sometimes, the thing I like to do is to inject myself into the group instead of hiding in the background. Once you start getting positive results, it gets easier. Remember, half the battle is with your own mind, don't be your own enemy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit