BIG Moral Crisis.....

by justsomedude 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• justsomedude
    justsomedude

(If anything I write below is horrible offensive to anyone, please do me a favor and just ignore this post and don’t tell me what rotten person I am and I’m going to hell or some such thing)

Over the last few years I’ve had to change a great many views that I’ve previously been very emphatic about. I’ve changed my view on my prior religion, my view on God in general, my view on many things I don’t really need to itemize here, but it should go without saying that my view on right and wrong has made a huge shift.

There are a great many things that my strict Christian upbringing defined as wrong that I have since defined totally reversed myself on, or relegated to a grey area. Some of these things I did while I was still an active JW (as everyone does), but the most radical changes of course came after I decided to move on.

In a hopefully successful attempt at keeping this short enough to read without getting too bored,

With that being said, let me get to my dilemma...

I’ve been working with a woman for about the last 6-7 years that is absolutely fantastic. When we first started working together, we only talked on the phone for the first few months, but we got along very well because she is without a doubt one of the coolest people I have ever encountered. Well spoken, well read, good sense of humor, great attitude...

Then I met her in person and found out that she was absolutely gorgeous too....

This isn’t a bad start to a story, except for one hitch. Sometime later she invited me to a party over at her house, which I immediately took as a very good sign, until she mentioned that it was a birthday party for her husband, who she had previously failed to mention.

Oh well, not that big a deal.. A beautiful and intelligent woman who is already married, not that big a shock and not the end of the world. I had never actually asked her out or done anything else to make a fool out of myself, so no harm no foul.

We have ended up being very good friends however over the last few years. At least once a month we usually go hit a happy hour or something like that. I know that’s a little odd for a single guy to be running around with a married woman, but it never really seemed to be a problem, I just figured that was her personality. A lot of times her husband would be there even, so I’ve never really viewed it in any other light than just friends going out for drinks.

The last Thursday night I was talking with her and she wanted to go have some drinks after work. Her husband was out of town as he often is (on business) and she was looking for something to do. This isn’t the first time we've gone out like that, so I thought nothing of it. I basically had planned to go for about 2 hours and then head home because I had a ton to do yet. Unfortunately as is the case with most of our happy hours, we ended up staying at the bar until around 10 or so. She then asked me to come back to her place and have a few more drink and we'd order a bite to eat. Once again not out of the ordinary, except her husband wasn’t there this time.

The first hour or two that I was there was basically our usual chit-chat. Although she wasn’t a JW, she was raised in another cult religion and so our life experience has a lot of similarities. Because of this, I find that I can just talk to her for hours and never get bored.

At some point though, things took a turn... I found myself sitting with her on the couch, with her basically leaning on my shoulder and giving me the most vulnerable look I think I have ever seen on her face and I knew I was in trouble.

I guess I’m really quite a fool for not seeing this coming, but believe me when I say that while I was attracted to this girl, I wasn’t biding my time and waiting for an opportunity like this. I've never been as honest as I am in saying that we were just friends and if she hadn’t been married, I would have looked at things differently, but she was.

I wasn’t quite sure how far she wanted to let things go and I don’t think she really was sure herself.

Omitting the naughty details, I did end up staying the night. We didn’t end up having intercourse, but far more went on than should have. While we both agreed that night that we would still be friends and not let things get weird, I need to get my head on straight damn quick to be able to keep that promise.

My mood has been a real roller coaster of the last few days, but since I’ve been incredibly busy since that night, I haven’t really had time to sit and just let it eat at me. Sitting quietly in my empty house on a Sunday afternoon though, things have changed and I’m starting to get very down. I can’t possibly see a way for this to go well.

Something happened last week that can’t be undone. She told me that she had been harboring feelings for me for a long time and then we acted on that. Although I haven’t been acting on it, I am finally starting to admit to myself how much I really do have feeling for her too. The fact that things didn’t go farther than they did the other night, was partly due to the fact that I kept being a buzz kill and bringing up the fact that she is married. I don’t know that I will have the same restraint in the future....

• There are a number of things that are currently running through my head, the short list looks like this.
    • I’ve crossed a line that I thought was pretty cut and dried for me, I messed around with a married woman.
    • If I acknowledge what I might feel for her, there is no good way for it to go for me.
    • I may have ruined what was a really good friendship. I know lots of people, but the list of people that I really call friends is pretty damn short. Of that very short list, only two people really know whets going on with me right now.
    • I may have created a number of huge headaches at work.

If anyone has anything to say that will help me escape the current circle of hell that I seem to be orbiting, I’d appreciate the insight.

• EAGLE-1
    EAGLE-1

If something feels bad then it probably is.

Be careful .Affairs etc hurt more than a couple of people.It hurts the families too.

A little bit of fun is not worth the tragedies it can cause.

• justsomedude
    justsomedude

Ok, the formatting got all jacked up and I lost some when I pasted the post over, but most of it is still there.

• Jez
    Jez

There are some possibilities and I will list them in the order I think probable.

-A married woman, feeling too married and needing validation that she can still pull a fellow, that she is still young and beautiful. Therefore, she is thinking of herself, her vanity and you just happen to be the one available to caress her ego.

-Loves her husband, would never ever think of leaving him and will deny everything to the bitter end if found out, but enjoys some excitement in her life once in a while. Danger factor hard to resist.

-Seeking more attention from the one she really loves, her husband and using you to gain it. You are her "fantasy" husband, but not......and never will be.

-Finds you attractive, enjoys your attention and is unable to separate friendship from sexual attraction. Emotionally immature.

-Insecure and uses others to feel worthy.

-Is falling in love with you and not stopping herself despite having already made a commitment to someone else. If she is that unhappy in relationship with man A, get out of it, get over it, then go get man B. Scary pattern, but if that is what you want....your game.

I don't see any good in this at all. Jez

• jw
    jw

When you found out she was married you should have stopped the dating.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Aaak, what a sticky situation. Extricating yourself from your feelings about her could be painful, and difficult, if she wants to keep closeness. Don't blame yourself, or get into guilt too much. It's all part of being human. Too bad she didn't tell you thta she was married earlier on. Perhaps setting boundaries w her? Discussing those boundaries w her? Just a couple of thoughts.

S

• cyberdyne systems 101
    cyberdyne systems 101

I think its easy to forget how it makes you feel (ie. guilty and wrong) when you are put in that situation again. So now is the time to set your own boundaries over it, before the 'moment' comes again and you lose the will to do what you know is the right thing. Obviously you have crossed a line, and I for one think once its crossed its next to impossible to put the line back again.

My own advice is to cool it right off and have some time to let the feelings die down, only then may you be able to be friendly and not put yourself in a risky position again. Really though if you like somebody of the opposite sex, despite the fact that they are unavailable, your natural impulses will compel you to be with her. So maybe your only option will be to let her go and make another (available) friend - think about how cool that would be, someone you could really have a relationship with, and no guilt.

Good luck with it all

CS 101

• lowden
    lowden

In my experience, when feeling get involved on both sides you've got to be an extremely strong character to stop it going any further. If you carryon then one day the shit WILL hit the fan, no doubt about that! Question is, do you want to put up with it all and can you REALLY trust a woman that was/is willing to decieve the man she's supposed to love, because she may well do it back to you one day. I've been in a very similar situation and it's the hardest thing in the world to sort out. By the way you're not a bad person and that is evidenced by your toiling conscience, but rest assured if you end up in a similar situation with her again.....you WILL screw her,take it from me. Carefully does it!

Peace

Lowden

• Balsam
    Balsam

You both need to be aware of the consequences of what this could lead to and don't fool yourselves in thinking the shit won't hit the fan sometimes down the road. If your both aware and willing to suffer the conseqences then you must make your own choices. Don't fool yourselves.

• anewme
    anewme

I would pretend it never happened. And make sure it never happens again. Unless she leaves her husband, consider her unavailable.

Forgive yourself and learn from your mistake. Never enter a room with a married woman alone. It can lead to sexual relations or at least the appearance of it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit