Watchtower assaults it’s youth – fear/guilt/baptism and career July 1, 2006

by truthseeker 27 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

If we imagined for one moment that the majority of youths get baptized, then the July 1, 2006 WT paints a very different picture. The second study article, Youths, Make It Your Choice To Serve Jehovah is a blatant example of using fear and guilt tactics to prod the unresponsive youth towards baptism. There must be a serious problem in the organization for the Society to write so strong an article. And if that wasn’t enough, the July Awake! Issue with the article for youths, Young People Ask, What Will I Do With My Life? Assumes that all witness youths will enter some form of full time service, with no thought to what they would like to do. It’s clear from this article that Watchtower is desperate – with baptism rates for outsiders at a low rate, the pool of candidates is limited to family members of JW’s and of course JW youth.

The Watchtower repeats the same, tired old mantra of bible study, meeting attendance and ministry.

This is the second magazine to feature a study article on baptism in as many weeks. I will provide excerpts of the main points with my comments in red. July 1, 2006 WT – YOUTHS, MAKE IT YOUR CHOICE TO SERVE JEHOVAH

“Choose for yourselves today whom you will serve” – Joshua 24:15 2 Many mainstream churches of Christendom still baptize newborn babies. Moreover, throughout history, compulsory baptism of conquered “pagans’ was practiced by rulers and religious leaders of so-called Christian nations. But infant baptism and forced baptisms of adults have no foundation in the Bible.
    Let’s see, what would constitute a forced baptism? Telling JW youths that if they don’t get baptized they will die? And while they disparage Christendom’s infant baptisms, they are encouraging 8,9, and 10 year olds to make a lifelong decision that they cannot truly comprehend. Jesus was baptized at 30 and John the Baptizer baptized those who had repented of their sins. How could a child know the meaning of repentance?

No Automatic Dedication Today

3. The Bible shows that God considers young children to be holy even if only one of their parents is a faithful Christian. Does that make such children dedicated servants of Jehovah? No. However, children who are raised by parents who are dedicated to Jehovah receive training that can lead children to make a voluntary dedication to Jehovah.

What Is Mental-Regulating? 6 Are Christian parents unfairly influencing their children when they raise them in the mental regulating of Jehovah? No. Who can criticize parents for teaching their children what they consider right and beneficial? Atheists are not criticized for teaching their children that God does not exist? Roman Catholics feel duty-bound to bring up their children in the Catholic faith, and they are rarely criticized for endeavoring to do so. Similarly, Jehovah’s Witnesses should not be accused of manipulating the minds of their children when they raise them to adopt Jehovah’s thinking on basic truths and moral principles.

Does the Watchtower criticize all religions? Of course it does, especially Catholicism.

An important point is made that JW’s should not be accused of manipulating the minds of their children – I wonder if this is what many of those custody battles involving JW parents and unbelieving parents are about?

Jehovah Invites You To Choose

9 Jehovah could have made his creatures robots, programmed to do his will land unable to do otherwise. Instead, he dignified them with free will. Our God desires willing subjects.

11 So you young ones should understand that neither your parents nor the Christian elders in the congregation are going to force you to get baptized. It must be of your own accord that you choose to dedicate yourselves to Jehovah and devote your lives to doing his will.

Facing Up to Your Responsibility

12 The time comes when you young people are no longer protected by your parents. The disciple James wrote: “If one knows how to do what is right and yet does not do it, it is a sin for him.” Parents cannot serve God for their children anymore than children can serve God for their parents. Have you learned enough about Jehovah and his purposes? Are you old enough to understand what you have learned and to begin to have a personal relationship with him? Would it not then be reasonable to think that God considers you capable of deciding to serve him?

Note how the WT speaks with a forked tongue. On the one hand they say that young ones are not forced to get baptized and that God wants willing subjects on the other hand they say it is a sin for them not to get baptized. Try asking a 7 year old child the following questions:

1.) Have you learned enough about Jehovah and his purposes?

2.) Are you old enough to understand what you have learned and to begin to have a personal relationship with him?

3.) Would it not then be reasonable to think that God considers you capable of deciding to serve him?

If so, ask yourself honestly: “Why I am doing this? Do I attend meetings and share in the preaching work because my parents expect me to do so or because I want to please Jehovah?”

Why Put Off Getting Baptized

14 If you have a basic knowledge of Jehovah and his purposes, a sincere desire to do his will, and a good reputation in the congregation and you are faithfully attending meetings and sharing in the good news of God’s Kingdom, why should you put off getting baptized?
    15 Young ones, please do not imagine that by postponing baptism, you avoid accountability. When you have reached the age of responsibility, you are answerable to Jehovah for the way you act whether you are baptized or not.

So basically, if you’re not baptized you’re answerable to Jehovah. If you are baptized, you’re still answerable to Jehovah. Why get baptized then? Also, the WT mention the age of responsibility, let’s assume it is 18; why then do they encourage children to get baptized?

The Watchtower says that young ones have a choice, that Jehovah invites them to choose, yet they pile on the fear and guilt if they do not choose to get baptized….

And now for the Awake article on young people ask…

July Awake!

Young People Ask…What should I do with my life? As a child, did you daydream about what you would be when you grew up? How do you feel now about those ambitions? Are you confused about how you will support yourself as an adult?

Know Where You Are Headed

Imagine that you are planning a long journey that will take you many miles from home. Probably, you would first consult a map to determine the best route. It is similar with planning your future. “You have a wide variety of options,” says Michael, a young man who now serves at one of the branch offices of Jehovah’s Witnesses.
    Many witness youths may have dreamed about becoming dentists, lawyers, doctors, astronauts – were they allowed to pursue their goals? Is Michael’s advice about having “a wide variety of options” realistic in the truth?

This article mentions Pioneering, Bethel Service, Serving where the need is greater, International Service, Ministerial Training School and Missionary Service.

How will this out food on the table, pay the rent or help JW youths prepare for marriage and eventually a family?
    Quotes from the article:

“It was the best decision I could have made.” - Kelly, a pioneer for six years

“Look at those who are good examples.” – Robert, a Bethel family member The article continues with the following questions: What abilities and skills do you have?

Can you think of ways that these abilities can be used to praise Jehovah?

Which particular form of full-time service mentioned appeals to you?

The last question is particularly obnoxious. “Which particular form of full-time service appeals to you?”. They do not even give the JW youth a choice in the matter. It is automatically expected that once a JW youth finishes high school they will pioneer or enter Bethel service.

And as for Bethel service, why would they even advertise this as they are laying off thousands of Bethelites?

Hypocrites.

It is obvious that these two articles show no consideration for what a JW youth might want for himself. This religion truly is a cult.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    11 So you young ones should understand that neither your parents nor the Christian elders in the congregation are going to force you to get baptized. It must be of your own accord that you choose to dedicate yourselves to Jehovah and devote your lives to doing his will.

However it is perfectly ok for JW parents to make their children's lives a living hell and then kick them out on their ass on their 18th birthday.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Elsewhere, this article is a blatant example of JW hypocrisy - there are people on this forum who can discredit the notion that baptism is voluntary.

• blondie
    blondie

Don't have that one yet...but it is that time of year, the DCs are looming large next weekend. Still 6 weeks left before most of them to go through the questions and get those little darlings dunked. There was a drop in baptisms last year and where will the increase come from but the children of JWs, certainly not through the "energetic" efforts of the parents going door to door, making RVs, and bringing in converts.

I think the WTS is not so concerned that the children leave, is that they do not come back when they get married and have children themselves.

Blondie

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Good points blondie

You'll probably have 12 year olds interviewed after their baptism and then 5 years later you'll hear that they've been disfellowshipped - an embarassment for the Society.

• greendawn
    greendawn

The point is serving Jehovah means in fact serving the WTS, a manmade organisation registered as a corporation by a human government.

They are smart enough not to say serve us because no one will, but to get the dubs to serve them by supposedly serving jehovah that is effective. Selling or helping produce books and magazines does not interest god.

• stapler99
    stapler99

Yes, its the same old nonsense - spend your life "in Jehovah's service" and you won't regret it - it will be the best decision you ever made! If I had gotten baptised it would have been the _worst_ decision I ever made, as it is the members of my old congregation don't need to treat me like a leper. I wonder if these children think about this when they "take the plunge".
    Both my parents got baptised in their early teens. whereas with me and my brother it was 15, 16, 17 ... err, will you _ever_ get baptised?

• juni
    juni

Think they can get thru the questions in 6 weeks????

All of you are right on with your comments.

Juni

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos
    Parents cannot serve God for their children anymore than children can serve God for their parents.

Wouldn't that seem to indicate that parents should not attempt to block blood transfusions for their small children? Right from the GB of the WTS that parents cannot be held responsible in the matter.

Oh I forgot; they don't really serve God do they?

• merfi
    merfi

What is the date for doing that study at meeting...?

My kids are 8-12, so at prime pickin's for this stupid article. I've already tried to lay some groundwork -- telling the oldest that Jesus wasn't baptized until he was 30... that the Society(tm) says to wait until mature to marry as younger ones are too young to make such a huge life-affecting decision...so baptism should be later in life as well...

They go with the ex for the summer and I'm hoping that this article is studied on my weekend with the kids (meaning we skip) or enough into August that they're home w/me after their summer vacay.

So yeah, the short version of this is my first question.

~merfi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit