PETA Protest Backfires

by Stephanus 41 Replies latest jw friends

• parakeet
    parakeet

One organization I do admire is the Organization for Responsible Care of Animals (ORCA). They don't protest using animals for food or having animals as pets. Their aim to to treat all animals in a humane manner. As far as I know, they don't go in for extreme PETA-like stunts.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    One organization I do admire is the Organization for Responsible Care of Animals (ORCA). They don't protest using animals for food or having animals as pets. Their aim to to treat all animals in a humane manner. As far as I know, they don't go in for extreme PETA-like stunts.

That's exactly the type of thing these orgs should be about, and I'm happy to know that they exist. The trouble is, all we ever get to hear about is the actions of the idiots.

• Breakfast at Cranberrys
    Breakfast at Cranberrys
    What I am reading on this forum about PETA is unsettling to me.

It's funny (OK, not really funny), but I live literally three blocks away from PeTA in downtown Norfolk. I live on the fifth floor of my apartment bldg, so I can actually look out my window at it. Stephanus is absolutely right about these people. I work for the local newspaper that broke the story about the two members killing dogs and cats and dumping them in trash bins. Nasty stuff. The worst part was, PeTA had these shelters and clinics under the impression that they were taking these animals to find better homes. Perhaps a bit naive on the part of the shelters, since most of these animals simply can't be placed anywhere. They are euthanized, like untold thousands every year here in America. It's a sad story, really, but what's really sad about this case is that PeTA deliberately misled these local clinics (which have their own facilities to euthanize animals) because they believed they wouldn't be euthanized "humanely." Then their people went tossing them in dumpsters along the side of the road.

The worst part? This: "Both have been released on $35,000 bail, and PETA is paying their legal fees. PETA suspended Hinkle for 90 days and did not discipline Cook."

Nice.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

BAC, that whole thing sucks! I think this more than anything is what has really made me a sworn enemy of that group and its local relatives. That whole "betrayal of trust" thing - that people who genuinely love animals were lured into believing that they'd provide better care for the stray mutts and moggies on death row, only to have them killed and unceremoniously tossed in the garbage. It just makes me angry that people this morally bankrupt are taking advantage of the genuine good will of generous and kind people.

In memory of those betrayed and dumped puppies and kitties:

• Sad emo
    Sad emo
    Unfortunately, the release of the minks has pretty well ruined rural Britain. They're a type of weasel, and they're the terror of farmyards (chicks and ducklings) and woodlands and meadows. They're prolific, and there's not much they won't eat. And being weasels, they're as cunning as!

This is very true Stephanus. I live about 2 miles from where a mink farm used to be and all the mink were released by 'animal rights activists'. Stupid thing is that the owner was about to close it down anyway and the mink could have been humanely destroyed or sold on. Now, because they aren't a native species here, they can be hunted in any manner without licence because they are classed as vermin.

The mink attacked anything - including pet animals - rabbits, guinea pigs (cavies), unsuspecting cats and even small dogs. They have also seriously set back the reintroduction of our native otter population into the wild because they are more aggressive.

I just don't understand the twisted logic of allowing so many other animals to suffer for the sake of the 'rights' of a few. Maybe they would prefer us to transfer fur farming to those far eastern countries who 'really' know how to treat animals ....

• kazar
    kazar

To Stephanus, Breakfast at Cranberry's and Sad Emo:

Thanks for the posts. Don't know what to say at this point. What you have posted is a shock to me. I will henceforth withhold my contributions to PETA. I was unable to search the links Stephanus posted as my AOL kept giving me error messages but I will attempt it again today.

I suppose it is my naivete in idealizing animal rights groups. I do believe what you have posted is factual. I probably would not consider any of it were it not for the fact that we all come from the same place, namely, the WBTS and it is this alone which has given me reason for reconsideration of my beliefs. You have had experience in your local areas--which I have not. So, forgive me if I ranted for a cause which was one-sided without equal consideration of the other side. (An old Watchtower conditioning which I still haven't been able to discard.)

Peace to all.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

hi kazar

I too have learnt a lot about PETA on this thread. I think I mentioned in one of my earlier posts that in the UK they are seen as one of the more moderate groups - up there with the RSPCA!!

I never knew they did all that bad stuff elsewhere so my opinion of them has gone way down too. In fact I'm beginning to wonder whether they actually do have unpublicised links with our extremist groups.

Good that we can see all angles and learn from each other

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate
    Perhaps in this attitude of yours we see a glimpse of the true motivation of animal activists; not so much a love of animals, as a dislike of people

I take offense at being accused of disliking people. Do you think that eating the flesh of abused animals does not cause heart attacks, strokes, and a plethora of diseases? Do you think I WANT people to suffer? NO. That is WHY I founded a support group for people trying to cut abused animal flesh out of their diet!

The medical world KNOWS what is making their patients sick but dare not condemn meat all together for fear of being sued as was Oprah.

I have personal knowledge of the conditions of hens in battery cages, First hand accounts from a close family member who works in that industry. I am not talking about the small farmer, they are almost gone in America replaced by big business. I have visited cattle feed lots. I do not depend on any animal activist to tell me what is going on, I can see it for myself.

And as for you account of debeaking not being used you are WRONG. I bought hens just a few years ago from an egg factory that were DEBEAKED. Road Island Reds who were very happy to be alive and free. They gardened with me, raised chicks, roosted in trees, hung out with the sheep, and generally were very pleasant. They had no feathers on their necks I'm not sure why but they grew back. I have pictures to prove it so you friend are getting your information from either liars or someone with an agenda to support this cruel industry.

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

Healthy Eating -- Vegetarian Diets and Organic Foods

Some people choose to follow a vegetarian diet, which means they eat mostly plant-based foods (grains, fruits, vegetables, legumes, nuts, and seeds). However, there are several different forms of vegetarian diets:

• Vegans, or total vegetarians, eat only plant foods and do not eat meat, milk, eggs, or animal foods.
    • Lacto-vegetarians drink milk and eat milk products, such as cheese and yogurt.
    • Lacto-ovo vegetarians include eggs and milk products in their diets.
    • Semi-vegetarians may include fish and/or chicken in their diets, but they do not eat red meat.
    • Macrobiotic vegetarians emphasize whole grains, especially brown rice, in their diets and include vegetables, soy, legumes, and fruits. White-meat fish may be included. This diet avoids meat, poultry, eggs, and dairy.

If properly planned, vegetarian diets are healthy and can provide all the nutrients a person needs. 7 As a group, vegetarians are less likely to: 7

• Develop high cholesterol .
    • Die because of coronary artery disease (CAD) .
    • Develop high blood pressure .
    • Develop prostate or colorectal cancer.
    • Develop type 2 diabetes .
    • Be overweight.
  • Robdar
    Robdar

I found out about PETA by attending a couple of their meetings. They seemed nutty to me and so I did not join.

The reason I quit eating KFC is not because of the rumors that PETA was spreading about them, it's because none of the chicken has dark meat. Not even the dark meat portions. Even the legs and thighs are a milky color. Something isn't right about that and I just can't eat there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit