Are you far too trusting in other people?

by Elsewhere 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I'm afraid I am.

It is in my nature to expect everyone to act in the best interests of everyone else. I never expect that others will intentionally cause harm to another in a willfull and malisious act.

A few weeks ago I confided in a co-worker a mistake I had made and had to correct on a project I was working on. I was able to correct the problem before it became a *big* problem and all was well, which is why I felt safe in telling this person.

Nope... He screwed me. He made sure my Supervisor’s, supervisor’s, supervisor knew what happened just before the mid-year reviews were done.

I'm afraid I'm just going to have to be more careful with whom I share my failings.

• KW13
    KW13

i do like to think my closest friends are reliable. maybe one day i will be proved wrong?

nothing wrong with being a trusting person but don't be taken for a ride.

• Emma
    Emma

I tend toward trusting but have been burned enough to be cautious. When I first left the borg and realized not everyone was evil, I had to learn not everyone could be trusted, either.

• freedomlover
    freedomlover

I do think I WAS far too trusting in people. I not a cynic - just realistic.

I am still surprised sometimes at how evil and manipulative people can be. I suppose I'm more understanding nowadays as to the physcological reasons people do "mean" things. Perhaps they are being brainwashed? Traits I find repulsive now (ex. shunning) I totally agreed with not that long ago, so I am more empathetic to people's actions.

however, I am much more cautious about people's motivations these days.

• YoursChelbie
    YoursChelbie

I had a job right after high school where at the ripe old age of 19, I learned all about office politics by observation.

There is gossip galore there just as in the KH. People will talk about you and anything you say can and will often be used against you.

It's better not to divulge anything you don't want posted on a bulletin board for all to see. This is especially true in the workplace.

As far a trusting others outside of the workplace, I will usually trust until that trust is betrayed. Once that happens, it is just like trying to put broken pieces back to make a crystal vase: It's not the same anymore.

YC

• daystar
    daystar

I used to be much more trusting than I am today. I came to a crossroads where I had to decide whether I'd become a total cynic or not. I chose not to, but there are certain things I trust to no one but myself, money and our safety being the main ones.

• Brigid
    Brigid

Sadly (or perhaps not so), yes. I have an inability almost to not trust someone. I generally think most people are good if I dig deep enough. This undying belief in the goodness of the human spirit, even when I am betrayed, seems to attract darker energies...yet I persist. I am loathe to give up on anyone, trusting that deep down inside, people are born good and want to embrace the Light.

Another part of it is my belief that I cannot ever truly be harmed....nothing real can be harmed, nothing unreal exists.

~Brigid

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I'm not trusting any more. I'm at the other extreme now. I assume that everyone will screw me over if I let them. Unfortunately, every time I let my guard down someone does something to reinforce my distrust. I can't afford any more such lapses.

W

• daystar
    daystar

FF, the trick, I find, is to develop better skills in picking the people you surround yourself with. Carefully extend your trust to them as they warrant it. Maintain a healthy, but friendly, distrust of others.

Additionally, you might find ways to limit just how people can betray your trust. I have very few secrets. The ones I do have, I don't give out freely. But when I do, I must have absolute trust in the person. If they betray that trust... it's very, very serious to me.

• Brigid
    Brigid
    I have very few secrets. The ones I do have, I don't give out freely.

Secrets!!! Secrets?!?!?!???? I wanna know...you can trust me, Day baby..c'mon.

Assured mutual annihilation.

~B

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit