Were you a Jehovah’s Witness snob?

by plmkrzy 16 Replies latest jw friends

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

There were ALWAYS snobs in every congregation I ever attended my entire life.

When I was a teen and attempted to associate with other teens that were daughters of elders, because it was what my parents wanted, I had the hardest time trying to find anything at all to talk about. For the most part all they wanted to do was gossip about others in the congregation and boast about their personal triumphs in field service or even worse; lets rehearse for our ministry school assignment.

Three I know of ended up going to Bethel, their only goal in life. They didn’t seem to have the slightest desire to be normal in any way what so ever. That is probably the main reason I hung out with the ones more on the spiritually weak side and ended up being gossiped about quite a lot.

Looking back now leaves me feeling sorry for them, in a way, because they knew/know they were/are so mentally superior to others due to the vast amounts of knowledge they were able to absorb growing up jw. Knowledge that only a handful of people through out the world are privy to. Knowledge one can only acquire through wtbts, feed to them by experts. They were very privileged and KNEW it. After all, out of billions of people on earth, they were part of a small brotherhood of only a few million using the proper tools to eat the proper food with at the proper time. They had a valid to be a bit full of themselves.

I thought of a few of them today and wondered if they were still going strong in their faith or did they get a wake up call or slap in the face and leave. Are they posting on sites like this and if so are they a little nicer then they were when they knew so damn much.

I know of 1, I ran into at an assembly a few years ago, there is no hope for at all but when I asked about the others, no one really knew.

Were any of you snobs towards others when you were active and knew so much? Are you a little nicer now?

plm

The submit button needs to be turned up. Only portions posted.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Piety comes with the territory™ and gossip is the social capitol traded to enhance ones standing™. Of course no one of us here were engaged in class snobbery or salacious gossip

:::

The submit button needs to be turned up. Only portions posted

Aha! Thankyou plm, another mystery solved (only half a dozen to go and I'll have this posting business sused!

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Please don't ask me what salacious means I just inserted it to sound smart.

bugger if this will post!

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    19-May-06 02:45 May 19, 2006 by unclebruce: Correct formatting
    19-May-06 02:50 May 19, 2006 by unclebruce: Correct formatting
    19-May-06 02:51 May 19, 2006 by unclebruce: Correct formatting
    19-May-06 02:52 May 19, 2006 by unclebruce: Correct formatting

I'm probably wrong

Maybe it needs to be turned down

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

yeah very funny! plum ..laugh while there's a cyber demon pulling my chain!

it worked as soon as I said bugger - oh yeah it picked that up alright! lol

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Yes I was a JW snob. It wasnt because my dad was an elder, although he did become one eventually.

I was a snob because I was always looking down on other people for minor sins (1) going to the toilet during the meetings (2) not prestudying the watchtower (3) forgetting to bring the watchtower, or worse bringing the wrong one hahahahaha (4) not going to EVERY day of an assembly (5) not going to meetings while on holiday (6) never answering up in the meetings (7) going to nightclubs (the real sin here was not inviting me!!) (8) drinking too much alcohol with a meal so it normalised heavy drinking ... need I go on?

Yes I am MUCH nicer now. I am deeply ashamed of being such a little miss pissy, but in fairness I was conditioned well at the time.

• luna2
    luna2

kk, I know what you mean.

Generally I was too lazy to be in the upper echelon of snobbery snobs, but I had my little attitudes. When I first was inducted I had young children (7 & 4). Its not so hard to be in control of kids that age (once you get them used to sitting like mannequins at meetings). There were some couples in the KH that had rebellious preteens and teens. I sat there congratulating myself on how well my boys behaved and judging my fellow dubs like I actually had a clue. Ho boy, was I in for a rude awakening a few years later.

Then there was the general "I'm a Jehoba's people so I'm automatically better than anybody who isn't" syndrome. Super to be so smug and self-satisfied, ain't it?

unclebruce, you figgered out that there posting stuff yet? lol

• cyberdyne systems 101
    cyberdyne systems 101

I wasn't the snob type as i was a weaker one, but I still had my judgemental side, more cause I was doing stuff i didnt want to when others didnt - seemed so unfair to me!

CS 101

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    minor sins (1) going to the toilet during the meetings

LMAO! I remember my mother getting upset about the very same thing. I wouldn't say that was snobish really. Maybe a little obsessive.

But all in all aren't you so much happier now that you don't worry about that stupid s^#t?

plm

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    I wasn't the snob type as i was a weaker one, but I still had my judgemental side,

Boy I sure as hell did! I went through this stage where I actually HATED others for being so much more theocratic then I ever was. They got all the positive attention. Hands were up at all times through the wt studies. Me…it was more like: I guess I should raise my hand at least once.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit