What did your worldly friends think?

by Fleshybirdfodder 18 Replies latest jw friends

• dido
    dido

Yeah Fbf, i got that every sunday afternoon at the hall, always had my afternoon kip there! Used to watch one of the elder`s who took the watchtower nod off, so i thought if he can do it, so can i!

• under_believer
    under_believer
    The best feeling in the world was at the assemblies at precisely 2 in the afternoon. Lunch was heavy in your stomach, hangover was wearing off, and the speaker was droning.... droning... droning...zzzzzzz

CLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAP

*snort* wha? WHA? *wipe away drool* *clap*

• Fleshybirdfodder
    Fleshybirdfodder

Ha UB!

Off topic, but I remember an elder I used to be employed under in the only virtuous vocation other than pioneering (JANITOR) giving a part at the assembly at precisely that time of day. He gave a rhetorical question... (I don't remember, my wrist and elbow were numb from supporting my head and yes, drool trickled down my arm) something to the effect of naming some undesirable trait of worldlings and asking "is this the way we as JEHOVAH'S PEOPLE want to be!?!" I guess the intonation in his voice rose too much or he spoke too loudly because EVERYONE greeted his question with thunderous applause. After that... silence. He looked out over the audience and shook his head... "no brothers, it certainly is NOT".

• under_believer
    under_believer

Fleshy (to continue the OT,) I've seen that happen too. That experience highlights one of the creepiest things about Conventions and Witnesses in general--the flock really isn't thinking about what they're being told. They will respond enthusiastically to ANYTHING THEY ARE GIVEN. The whole rising crescendo + clapping pattern has always blown my mind even when I was a believer. So artificial, fake, contrived... they're trying to follow the Cedar Point, OH model, and other early conventions, when people were really excited and clapped because they actually were moved to.
    I haven't clapped at Conventions for years except when a new speaker is introduced, as is only polite.

• Fleshybirdfodder
    Fleshybirdfodder

Yeah, but when you were a kid (if you were in the org as a kid) it was fun to be the one who clapped the last.

• Fleshybirdfodder
    Fleshybirdfodder

But seriously... you are right. It is Pavlovian.

• limbogirl
    limbogirl

FleshyBirdFodder --- I agree with Miss Peaches -- yours is the best name yet! Regarding your post about the clapping -- LOL!!! I remember the last few speeches at the assembly on the last day were when the clapping got really frenzied and crazy. Everytime the speaker so much as raised an eyebrow everyone broke out in applause. Very odd. But I never heard affirmative clapping to a negative question. That's hilarious!

• limbogirl
    limbogirl

Miss Peaches: I would also like to go to a meeting now to observe as a non-JW. however, I'm worried about the love bombing aspect. Membership is dwindling and I'm sure that I would be looked at as FLESHY BIRD FODDER. lol

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Funnily enough I think the clapping was one of the first things that got to me. One assembly my best friend and I (very controversial as he was a male!! shock horror) sat together and realised there was something wrong with all this clapping all the time. It began to make us feel very uncomfortable. We decided then and there that we would no longer clap at JW things EVER. And we didn't. It was my first act of rebellion!

LimboGirl - I understand exactly where your coming from. You could always sneak in late and leave before the song. (eeerk) if only you were closer we could go to a meeting together.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit