What did your worldly friends think?

by Fleshybirdfodder 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Fleshybirdfodder
    Fleshybirdfodder

At around 19 years of age I started dating a "worlding" girl and brought her to meetings to get the elders off my back (to no avail of course... I was "marked"). Needless to say word got out and some of my other friends decided to check out some of the meetings. One of my closest friends who had been to many church services (he is a gifted musician and played organ at his church and several others) came to a Theocratic Ministry School/Service meeting. I watched his jaw lower further and further as the meeting progressed. He couldn't believe that after someone had the guts to go onstage and give a "sermon", an elder quickly trotted up after and "critiqued" him. He was blown away by the question and answer parts from the Kingdom Ministry; this was at the time when it was up to the brother reviewing the material to come up with the questions for each paragraph (ie.. paragraph reads: So then dear brothers, it is important to keep up to date service records because Jehovah is a God of Order and we want to please Jehovah. Question, "why is it important to keep up to date service records?" Answer from kid wearing bowtie in the front row waving hand frenetically: "Because Jehovah is a God of Order and we want to please him!".... nods of heads and sighs of approval...move on to the next paragraph). After it was over I turned to him and asked him what he thought. His deadpan response:
    "this is what you guys call church? It's like I just sat through a business meeting of aliens."

I guess that's why the society doesn't recommend bringing new ones to the Theocratic Ministry School/Service meeting right off the bat.

I had some really great, polite, liberal minded friends and pretty much just invited them so I could hang out with them under the pretense that they were "interested." Most of them were not as vocal as my previously-mentioned friend. I can only imagine now what most of them were really thinking as they sat through all the rhetoric. Anyone else have a similar story?

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

Well when I brought my friend to the Memorial he said he thought it was really creepy. He felt very disturbed being there.

• luna2
    luna2

I didn't have a lot of "worldly" friends but I wouldn't have wanted to bring them to the meetings. I didn't like bringing my parents the couple of times they came and I didn't like bringing my son's girlfriend either. Its like I knew it was really weird and that people would be taken aback by our strange practices. I didn't like the idea that they'd make fun. I must have known on some level that it was all crap; I just wasn't ready to acknowledge it.

• MissBehave
    MissBehave
    business meeting of aliens

This is so funny, but so true.

• justsomedude
    justsomedude

Most generally I didnt tell my "worldly" friends. Despite my previous beliefs I've always had a mouth like a sailor and I drink like a fish. I didnt feel like explaining the discrepancy between my belief and my actions.

• under_believer
    under_believer

I always instinctively knew that it was creepy and therefore never invited anybody. I would have been mortified had they shown up.

• dido
    dido

Took an associate and she fell asleep for most of the meeting. When she woke, she said, how much she enjoyed it, as it sent her to sleep!

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

I never took a wordly friend along to a meeting. I wasn't real good at witnessing etc. LOL. Despite my many hundreds/thousands of hours I did it...

However sometimes I think I would like to go along to a meeting again where nobody knows me just to observe. I want to view it from the perspective I have now. See that whole business meeting aspect of it.

By the way Fleshybirdfodder has got to be the best name I've seen for a poster!

• Fleshybirdfodder
    Fleshybirdfodder

LOL dido,

The best feeling in the world was at the assemblies at precisely 2 in the afternoon. Lunch was heavy in your stomach, hangover was wearing off, and the speaker was droning.... droning... droning...zzzzzzz

• atypical
    atypical

I agree with Luna2. I never tried to get any of my worldly friends to come to meeting because I would have been way too embarassed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit