What do you do for living?

by averyniceguy 107 Replies latest jw friends

• iggy_the_fish
    iggy_the_fish

Witchsmeller*

* this statement may or may not be entirely accurate

• katiekitten
    katiekitten
    To those I work with I appear to be "raw meat", to those that hire me I am a substitute teacher.

All respect popper. That has got to be the hardest job in the world. Officially. No-one knows who hasnt faced 30 malevolent teenagers whose sole aim is to "make Miss cry because we got rid of the last 3 that way".

• poppers
    poppers

Thanks Katie. It is a hard job, but I really like it (most of the time).

• katiekitten
    katiekitten
    25 years in the development and project management of commercial hospitality/institutional kitchens

Gregor, im sorry but this sounds like BS for "school dinner lady"!

Im sure its WAY more important than that. Be glad you dont work in the UK, the entire school meal franchise has been systematically exposed as "chemicals on wheels" for our kids for years. People are now clammouring for food that actually contains some nutrition and the UK government is under pressure to spend more than 40p per head per meal. Jamie Oliver showed that a nutritious meal needs at least £1 per head.

Schools in the UK are now struggling to get bids for school meal provision, because they have found that when you stipulate that the food has to be nutritious it is not commercially viable! In short you can only turn a profit when you feed the kids crap.

The company that sold Turkey Twizzlers (you can guess how much turkey there was in there, and what the rest was made up of) has had a sharp decline in profits since TV showed us exactly how they were made.

From September this year schools will not be allowed to serve deep fried food more than twice a week, and they will not be allowed to serve reconstituted meat, plus there will be minimum nutrititional standards.

f anyone is not sure why, just ask popper or I what it is like to try and teach 30 teenagers hyped beyond recognition on chemicals and fizzy pop.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

I manage the local Soup Kitchen from 9:30 A.M. until 1:30 P.M. From 2 to 5 P.M. I'm a volunteer researcher at the State Library.

• juni
    juni

I'm a floral designer.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Sweet.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Katiekitten,

I only design and install the kitchens! I'm long gone by the time they are fired up. But I do have to keep up with diferent trends in food programs so I can provide the correct equipment.

Interesting thing about public school food programs here in the U S. School districts used to get a lot of free government surplus commodities - flour, cheese, milk, tomato sauce, ground beef, etc. The individual schools could get creative and put out some pretty good food on a small budget. Now, since most schools are 'open campus' (except elementary) students can go across the street for a McDonalds, Taco Bell, etc. It is not considered "cool" to eat in the cafeteria.

• damselfly
    damselfly

Massage Therapist & Student ( Medical Labratory Technologist In 2 years time!)

Dams

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch
    ( Medical Labratory Technologist In 2 years time!)

Damselfly, I was seriously considering this after finishing my biology degree, but I was told by the college that I'd be given zero credits from any of my bio courses and that I'd have to take the full 3 year program...I thought 7 years total?!! No bloody way....spent the next two years working at low paying jobs and decided I'd try being a teacher. So there was another year as a univeristy TA to get some needed experience, one year of teacher's college and about 3 and a half years now as a substitute teacher. I now really regret not having opted for the lab tech course.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit