How are JW's perceived where you live?

by JH 23 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

Around here, the moment you pronounce the word Jehovah Witness, you can be sure that you raised the blood pressure of the person listening.

I wonder if somewhere around the world, this isn't so ?

• KW13
    KW13

That part of the world is where there are no witnesses lol. Some little island.

Near me, witnesses are considered a pain in the ass.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Generally speaking a laughing stock - but I'm doing my best to make sure that people I know realise that they aren;t just harmless fun, but downright evil.

Do you remember how we were taught that the way the world regarded Satan as harmless fun was wrong and that it lulled people into a false sense of security so they'd be open to demonic influence? Well I don't know anyone who was severely harmed emotionally or otherwise by watching Harry Potter. And I know of thousands scarred emotionally by the J Dubs.

• merfi
    merfi

Before I went through all my crap with the elders, and would have asked someone what they thought of JW around here, they would have hedged and said something along the lines of "they don't believe in Jesus, do they?" or that they were a 'keep to themselves' type of religion. Not much reaction, anyway.

NOW, that I'm "out" and have been quite vocal to friends and family here in town, when I mention that I took myself out of the cult, the reactions range from "good for you!!", "congratulations!" and "oh I am so happy for you..." with words like "not right", "cult", "shunning" etc thrown in in agreement with what I've told people. I would bet that if any JW calls on the door of any of my fellow hospital workers, the door would be slammed very hard. The other day, the wife of the PO phoned one of my friends/workmates. My workmate let 'er have it on shunning and the blood issue (she is our blood bank supervisor!) and told her to never call on her again. Yessss.... My town is fairly small (12K) so when it gets buzzing, it buzzes loud.

~merfi

• blondie
    blondie

The religious ones can't understand why they keep visiting them..

The ones who aren't religious can't understand why they come by unannounced

or walk by the no trespassing sign or no JWs sign

They are known for not celebrating birthdays, holidays, not saluting the flag, not taking blood transfusions (some confused with not taking medical treatment).

They are not known for preaching the good news of the kingdom or as being Christians.

Blondie

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard
    Generally speaking a laughing stock - but I'm doing my best to make sure that people I know realise that they aren;t just harmless fun, but downright evil.

Ditto here in Bangor Maine

• jstalin
    jstalin

The people I've spoken with see them as an annoyance.

• dido
    dido

In a negative way, they mention that we don`t have blood, b/days, xmas, drink, smoke, etc., so really, it shows that the jw`s do not give people a good positive view of what they are supposed to be about.(maybe cos their isn`t one!)

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

Most here view them as harmless people, until I bring up the pedophile issue.

• Elsewhere

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit