What's the best way to let someone down gently?

by ballistic 97 Replies latest jw friends

• MissBehave
    MissBehave

Honey, I'm afraid at this point there is no room for niceties. You've been polite, you've tried to be understanding.....it may be time to totally sever any contact with her. Tell her it's over, there will never be anything between you and please don't contact you again. And if you have to block her so be it.

I know it's not pretty....but sometimes you just have to do what needs doin'.

• luna2
    luna2

I don't know what to say. You may have to do the brutal thing and shut her down. I suppose you could suggest therapy???? I'm thinking that the kinder you are to her, the more she thinks there's a chance that she can get you back by offering the sex that you guys hadn't gotten around to yet.

• ballistic
    ballistic

You are all right - cut her off. But I can't for some reason. And she's still wearing me down. Chipping away. I'm stressed by it and started drinking heavily again which I'm not supposed to do. She tried different tactics including that she has a new boyfriend who she's up late with every night, which I don't believe and offers of no strings attached sex which I find very appealing but strangely easy to refuse.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

B-man, in this chick's case there is no such thing as "friends w/ privileges". She wants you and has decided you are the man for her. Although that would be a great thing if she were not a nut.

If you give in to her it will only make it that much harder to get her out of your life. There is no good way to let someone down with out hurting their feelings. You tried to be nice and do it in as gentle a way as possible. You will either have to just block her e-mails and not pick up her calls (deleting any messages left for you) or you will have to be mean about it.

Also, you cannot make her feel better. She is the only person who can do that.

Cut your losses and run for the hills.

• luna2
    luna2

Awww, ballistic, can't believe she's still working on you. At some point you're going to need to make a decision with this gal. You're stuck in limbo. Doesn't sound completely healthy. Hope you figure it out.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Thanks for all your help people. Most of the time I'm trying to understand why life is so bloody difficult. I don't meet many women and when I do I will either fall in love too quickly and get hurt or I see something I dislike about them and then will see all of their flaws clearly. I wonder if that is how love works. If you love someone, you see through all their flaws. If you see something that is really worrying, you see all their imperfections in all their glory. Sometimes my confidence is knocked. All my friends are much younger than me and find it much easier just to walk into a bar and find sex. (sorry if this offends people). I'm a bit older and it's harder, and sometimes confuse sex with finding affection. So sometimes I approach dating with a bruised ego. But I try not to be inward thinking like that. I should care about me rather than what other people are up to.

• luna2
    luna2

Its interesting hearing a guy say that, b.

I don't know what the answer is, hon, but this girl is a little bit scary. Ugh, who knows, maybe lots of women dig their claws in and refuse to let go. I have no frame of reference as I don't date much and most of my friends are married. I've always admired strong women who don't take any crap and would never beg or try to bribe a guy to stay with them.

• ballistic
    ballistic
    Its interesting hearing a guy say that, b.

Hey only evolution could come up with a guy who's so pumped up with testosterone and suffers depression at the same time. If god designed me, I sure would go and punch him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit