shunning addressed on Big Love tonight

by candidlynuts 10 Replies latest jw friends

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i was freaking out!

barbs mother wont see her but sent barbs sister to pick up the kids so they could visit the kids.

of course, they push their own religious beliefs on the kids while they have them.

gawd jw flashbacks were hitting me!

hope some of you see the episode so we can talk about it!

• serendipity
    serendipity

Random thought: Are there any "Big Love" discussion forums? Those would present an opportunity to discuss JW shunning as well for an anti-witness.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

there is one at www.televisionwithoutpity.com

i read there but dont post.

• Swan
    Swan

I saw it! It seemed to focus on the baptism theme a lot, but it also focused on moral choices. It sure contrasted the morality of Barb's polygamy with the morality of Cindy (and Mom's) shunning. Barb couldn't even go into the house. And torn between her two families, Barb finally made a decision about who her real family was. I loved Nicki telling off Cindy. She has a lot of faults, but the way she stood up for Barb was so cool. Ben's morality was in conflict with his girlfriend's morality, and then he succumbed and now feels great remorse for a momentary (literally) pleasure (poor kid). Sarah and Margene's morality was called into question as polygamists.

Margene seems to have found her compass though, and she finally stuck up for Nicki against judgmental Pam and told her goodbye.

Wasn't it creepy how Roman and his minions knew when Bill and Joey went to visit Brother Halloway? And the phone was left off the hook so Roman and the NSA could listen in. Did you catch that Brother Halloway's first name was Earnest? And then later he told Bill how his grandfather Orville was such a great prophet and how Roman had changed everything. Kind of reminded me of Russell and Rutherford.

Tammy

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

It scares me everytime my mother talks to my 13yo daughter. In order to convince my daughter to be a JW my mother has to say comments about why it is correct, which implies that what I am doing is wrong. Everytime my mother talks to her it is basically undermining me and my role in the family. I don't know if the grandchild grandmother relationship is worth the harm I feel it does.

• greendawn
    greendawn

That's pushing things too far to try to indoctrinate children while shunning their parents, their intention will lead to the children shunning their parents too in the future if they ever become JWs.

That's a big provocation for any ex JW parent.

• White Waves
    White Waves

JWFACTS - sounds like supervised visits would be good - or a huge amount of discussion with your teen after each encounter to clear up any concerns she may have. Mom should know better than to insinuate or place doubts in the mind of a child. She's a parent after all!

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Media/television has often times been a catalyst for something that was frowned on becoming more mainstream. My fear is that people will begin to sympathize with the Warren Jeffs of the world. The viewing public cannot truly understand the context of what they are seeing, because they think the subject matter is fictionalized. I would love for people to truly understand the shunning practice. Or plural marriages, or forced marriages, child brides, all these things that are destructive to society as a whole. That is something that does not really translate over the t.v. in its fully hatred and hurtfulness.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

I watched this for the first time last Sunday. I was going to watch it last night but fell asleep right after The Sopranos. I don't know if I can get into it or not. The show is too strange. They make them seem like a bunch of victims but really selfish victims.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Great episode last night.

Are there any "Big Love" discussion forums?

Yes, on HBO's website: http://www.hbo.com/biglove/community/index.html

And then later he told Bill how his grandfather Orville was such a great prophet and how Roman had changed everything. Kind of reminded me of Russell and Rutherford.
    Me, too!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit