Latest KM encourages JWs to ask for referrals

by ocsrf 21 Replies latest jw friends

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I can remember this, vaguely, from way back. I never heard of anybody soliciting for such referrals or getting another study in that way though.

km 11/73 p. 5 Can You, Too, Share in the Joy of Disciple-making? ***
    Asking persons with whom you study for suggestions as to others who might be interested is another fine way of obtaining Bible studies. A circuit overseer relates the following experience of a sister in Massachusetts: "The sister started a study and out of this four additional studies were started which she turned over to other publishers. From these five studies twenty people are now serving Jehovah. Then the same sister started another study. After a while she encouraged the interested person to invite others. This, too, resulted in an additional four studies. On my last visit to that congregation twenty-six people were attending meetings from this last group of studies." Thus through referrals two studies grew to ten and forty-six people got started on the road to everlasting life. Have you explored this avenue of finding Bible studies? Why not try it?
  • Gordy
    Gordy

Well it saves on all that fruitless door knocking, looking for someone who might be interested.

Instead get someone else to do it for you. By-pass all the "not-at-homes" and rejections.

• Mulan
    Mulan

Of course they will ask for referrals. It's marketing, after all. Simple marketing.

Sometimes I can't believe I was ever a part of that nonsense.

• carla
    carla

Do/did people really give out names? I would think in todays day with many concerned with privacy issues and such, people would not be so willing to give out friends and families names and numbers.

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

After getting sucked into a few MLM's (we're slow learners) my husband and I had a light-bulb moment at an MLM conventions/seminar. We looked at each other and said that the JW's were nothing more than a MLM (without the monetary compensation). I think the eye-opening was set in motion from that point on. The Service Meeting on Thursday nights were nothing more than sales meetings. Definitely the beginning of the end for us.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Read it for yourself at the bottom of Page 6...

http://www.reexamine.info/OKM/apr2006us.pdf

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

We used to get this advice periodically, and the wording has hardly changed over the years. I did ask the odd study to do this. Happily, without much success.

• Merry Magdalene
    Merry Magdalene

I found it interesting, when researching the connection between Judge Rutherford and Bonnie Boyd Heath (who married a former Coca Cola "salesman") to note the similarities between the preaching methods advocated by the Society and those of Coca Cola. I have wondered if Coca Cola salesmanship influenced the development of the colporteur work under Rutherford.

The sales force was of critical importance in achieving national distribution for Coca-Cola. Coca-Cola under Candler relied heavily on a personal, face-to-face selling approach. Although there are other ways to reach the customer-such as mass-media or direct-mall advertising- personal selling has the advantages of high impact on the customer and flexibility. The salesperson can tailor the message to the individual customer, answering questions and responding to objections. At Coca-Cola, management worked to maximize sales force performance in such subtle exchanges. "Sales demonstrations can be staged," explained a Coca-Cola vice-president at a 1923 bottler convention, "one salesman taking the part of a merchant and the other taking the part of a salesman. Questions can be asked, ideas can be brought out, and a general discussion of territories can be gone into."-- http://www.businessweek.com/chapter/tedlow.htm

~Merry
  • BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

What next? When your friend signs up, YOU get a free toaster!!!!

Can you imagine giving the name and number of anyone to a JW unless you positively hated them????

• White Waves
    White Waves

Just like "friends" that sign me up for telemarketing calls, give out my e-mail address to sales people, etc., I think these bible students would want the $20 off next bill or free give of your choice option. Maybe they can use the give to beg forgiveness from the friend they set up for stalking by a JW.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit