Please don't take offence at this ...

by Joe Grundy 74 Replies latest jw friends

• dozy
    dozy

I have a university degree and I know many witnesses who are similarly or better educated , including quite a few PHDs (although it is true to say that higher education is discouraged). Most , like mine , are more in engineering or similar disciplines rather than academia.

One of the problems of JW literature is that they tend to go for the "one size fits all" approach - hence the "kindergarten dumbed down" approach of much of the study media , like the "Really Teach" book. I have a call on a Greek theology professeur (not a witness) who has rigorously studied the Insight books and uses them in his teaching , so JW theology does appeal to certain individuals of an "educated" bent. An error many of the posters seem to have fallen into is the assumption that "higher education = better educated." It is my experience that this is not necessarily the case - my wife does not have a degree , yet she is far brighter and more intelligent than I am. Many of the non graduates who work in my sector of employment are far more able than the graduates , some of whom spent their studying years in an alcoholic haze.

I suppose all religions attract various types of people from across the spectrum , and JWs are no different to others in this respect.

• dido
    dido

I think what we have to remember is that we have different types of people that become jw`s, the one`s that are brought up in it used to be discouraged from pursuing further ed. and there are the ones that come in after having an education, or because they are looking for something, as was the case with me. So it depends on your background whether you take to the religion, but their is no hard and fast rule, there are people from all walks of life that get involved, as we all know.

• Grout
    Grout

If you're raised as a witness, you can be brilliant and still be taken in.

If you're a convert, you deserve what you got; you truly were stupid. (Hopefully you're not stupid any more.)

• Mysterious
    Mysterious
    If you're a convert, you deserve what you got; you truly were stupid. (Hopefully you're not stupid any more.)

Though I was raised a witness and your statement doesn't apply to me I couldn't disagree more. Telling someone who is recovering from the loss of dear family members and taken in by the idea they might see them again is fairly harsh. And what about how well the witnesses hide their true nature from studies and newly interested ones. The cult like techniques they employ appeal to human nature and can be quite powerful when used effectively. Regardless, no one deserves to have their life sucked away by a high control group.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    My question is this: in all the door-to-door canvassing and 'bible studies' do JWs attract what might be called 'academics' or professional types who have had a high level of education? Or do 'these types of people' see through it at the start? And do JW congregations contain any of these 'types'? (Sorry to generalise about types of people, but I hope you can see what I'm trying to say).

I don't think that they attract people who have degrees in Theology or Evolution. As far as the bible goes, there are many people of all races, income brackets, and cultures that are attracted to the study of the bible. There are many people who haven't studied the bible and feel that the witnesses are helping them to learn the bible. If they knew that it was a cult and all of the evil things that the religion had done, I don't think that they would be interested in studying the bible with them.

I think the question should be "Why do good/smart people fall for bad religions?".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit