Society gets New Light™ on UN?

by under_believer 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• under_believer
    under_believer

I have been doing some research recently on the Society's most recent teachings and statements about the United Nations. As we all know, the Society has made some very extreme, very negative statements about the United Nations in the past, even as recently as 1999:

*** dp chap. 15 p. 269 par. 24 The Rival Kings Enter the 20th Century ***

24 What “disgusting thing” has been “put in place” in modern times? Apparently, it is a “disgusting” counterfeit of God’s Kingdom. This was the League of Nations, the scarlet-colored wild beast that went into the abyss, or ceased to exist as a world-peace organization, when World War II erupted. (Revelation 17:8) “The wild beast,” however, was “to ascend out of the abyss.” This it did when the United Nations, with 50 member nations including the former Soviet Union, was established on October 24, 1945. Thus “the disgusting thing” foretold by the angel—the United Nations—was put in place.

It's also interesting to read what the Society's teaching on the UN's role in the end-time prophecies was in the following lurid description:

*** w63 11/15 p. 701 par. 60 Execution of Divine Judgment upon False Religion ***

60 God Almighty will break up that selfish unity between the harlot and the ten-horned wild beast. He will turn their selfish love to contemptuous hatred and will present reasons to the beast and ten horns to hate the harlot on top of them and to vent their hatred furiously upon her. They will drive her from a religious paradise into devastation. They will strip off her purple and scarlet garments, her adornments of gold and precious stones and pearls, and knock that golden cup full of disgusting things out of her hand. She will be exposed nude as a religious fraud. No longer will her flesh hold an attraction for petting and immoral union, but the “wild beast” and its ten horns will feed in a beastly way upon her fleshy parts. Her skeleton they will reduce to mere lime by burning it with fire. Thus the world empire of Babylonish religion will be reduced to ashes, to be trampled underfoot by the surviving worshipers of the true God, Jehovah, the faithful followers of his reigning Son Jesus Christ.—Mal. 4:3.

We are also all aware of the Society's "spiritual prostitution" in allying itself with the UN as an NGO, and following UN requirements of publishing UN press releases as Watchtower and Awake! articles. Perhaps this is why, even in the last seven years, this rhetoric has softened and changed significantly in tone. Look, for example, at this quote

*** w05 9/15 p. 19 par. 13 Walk by Faith, Not by Sight! ***

13 Something similar is about to take place in our day. Elements within the United Nations will be involved in the execution of divine judgment. Just as the Roman armies of the first century were designed to maintain the Pax Romana (Roman Peace), the United Nations of today is intended to be a peacekeeping instrument. Although the Roman armies tried to ensure relative safety throughout the then known world, they became the desolater of Jerusalem. Likewise today, Bible prophecy indicates that militarized powers within the United Nations will see religion as a disturbing element and will act to destroy modern-day Jerusalem—Christendom—as well as the rest of Babylon the Great. (Revelation 17:12-17) Yes, the entire world empire of false religion stands on the brink of destruction.

Now, this may be inconclusive for some, but to me it was a big shift. In the past, it was clearly stated that the United Nations itself would be responsible for the destruction of world religion. Think Koffi Annan signing the papers for the operation. The above quote is much softer in tone and very ambiguous: "militarized powers within the UN" could refer to almost anything including a single militarized member state like the United States.

However the most shocking and surprising evidence came from this very recent article:

*** w05 10/1 p. 24 par. 18 “Keep on the Watch”—The Hour of Judgment Has Arrived! ***

18 At Revelation 14:9, 10, a further aspect of ‘the hour of judgment’ is described. Another angel says: “If anyone worships the wild beast and its image, and receives a mark on his forehead or upon his hand, he will also drink of the wine of the anger of God.” Why? “The wild beast and its image” are symbols of human rulership, which does not acknowledge Jehovah’s sovereignty. Alert Christians are careful not to allow themselves to be influenced or to be marked, in either attitude or action, as being in servitude to those who refuse to acknowledge the supreme sovereignty of the true God, Jehovah. Christians know that God’s Kingdom has already been set up in heaven, that it will put an end to all human rulerships, and that it will stand forever.—Daniel 2:44.

It doesn't even mention the United Nations. Going back another year and a half, we have an article published in the 4/1/2004 Watchtower, entitled "Identifying the Wild Beast and Its Mark." This article doesn't mention the UN a single time, either. Here's an excerpt:

*** w04 4/1 p. 4 Identifying the Wild Beast and Its Mark ***

The Bible book of Daniel sheds much light on the meaning of symbolic beasts. Chapter 7 contains a vivid tableau of “four huge beasts”—a lion, a bear, a leopard, and a fearsome beast with big teeth of iron. (Daniel 7:2-7) Daniel tells us that these beasts represent “kings,” or political kingdoms, that rule in succession over vast empires.—Daniel 7:17, 23.

Regarding the beast of Revelation 13:1, 2, The Interpreter’s Dictionary of the Bible points out that it “combines in itself the joint characteristics of the four beasts of Daniel’s vision . . . Accordingly, this first beast [of Revelation] represents the combined forces of all political rule opposed to God in the world.” This observation is affirmed by Revelation 13:7, which says of the beast: “Authority was given it over every tribe and people and tongue and nation.”

Note that Revelation's "wild beast" is defined as representing "the combined forces of all political rule opposed to God in the world." I find both this definition and the source to be highly significant. The Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible is a "worldly" Bible dictionary produced by members of Babylon The Great, the World Empire of False Religion, and the Society appears to have suspended their old interpretation of the Wild Beast in favor of the one contained in this "worldly" book.

Am I totally smoking pot here? Am I the only one who noticed this? If I'm right, do you think the R&F Witnesses realize this?

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, I did point that out in my WT review.

Anyone who worships the wild beast and its image and receives a mark on his forehead...drink of the wine of the anger of God...symbols of human rulership

Why does the WTS sidestep that the "image" is the UN?

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/101319/1.ashx

In the past the WTS distances itself from certain doctrine and policies that have become embarrassing...for example, one is the teaching that a creative day is 7,000 years long...now it is "several thousand" years long. The WTS is covering all its bases with having said it is the UN, and then elements within the UN. With just about every nation on earth in the UN, if any one or more "raised up" it would fulfill their prophecy.

Noticeably, they have not come up with a new identity of the King of the North, since the breakup of the Soviet Union. Unofficialy, some Bethel reps have suggested the Muslim nations.

http://randytv.com/whatfutureholds.htm

• sir82
    sir82
    In the past, it was clearly stated that the United Nations itself would be responsible for the destruction of world religion.

Just curious, did you find any quotes that unambiguously proclaim this? I agree that the language on the UN has softened somewhat, but now that I think about it, I don't recall any explicit statements to this effect. I don't have my CD handy here for a search.

Not sure how "the United Nations itself" could accomplish much of anything. What is the UN, if you don't include the nations which compose it?

• james_woods
    james_woods

Blondie, have I missed something on the 7,000 year creative days? If this has been rescinded, then that must be as big a change as the 1995 generation redo!

Remember all the written speculation on how we were close to the end of the 6000 years of the last day and how it would be oh so appropriate to have Jesus rule for the last 1000?

If only we just knew how long Adam was there with Lilith before the gift of Eve...

James

• blondie
    blondie

This came up during the study of the "Creator" book. An old-time brother commented that a creative day was 7,000 years long and was abruptly corrected by the new-time (less than 7 years) elder that creative days were not 7,000 years long.

Last mention in the publications of 7,000 year creative day

w87 1/1 p. 30 Questions From Readers ***

. It is understood that Christ’s reign of a thousand years will bring to a close God’s 7,000-year ‘rest day,’ the last ‘day’ of the creative week. (Revelation 20:6; Genesis 2:2, 3) Based on this reasoning, the entire creative week would be 49,000 years long.

*** Creator book (1998) chap. 6 p. 93 An Ancient Creation Record—Can You Trust It? ***

The fact is, the Bible reveals that the creative "days," or ages, encompass thousands of years.

*** g04 1/22 p. 23 Why I Believe the Bible—A Nuclear Scientist Tells His Story ***

For example, some scientists and others erroneously think that the Bible teaches that plants, animals, and humans all developed on earth within six literal 24-hour days. This would be in conflict with known scientific facts. But the Bible does not teach that. Rather, it reveals that the creative "days" encompass thousands of years.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Was all physical creation accomplished in just six days sometime within the past 6,000 to 10,000 years?
    The facts disagree with such a conclusion: (1) Light from the Andromeda nebula can be seen on a clear night in the northern hemisphere. It takes about 2,000,000 years for that light to reach the earth, indicating that the universe must be at least millions of years old. (2) End products of radioactive decay in rocks in the earth testify that some rock formations have been undisturbed for billions of years. (Reasoning From The Scriptures 1989 p. 88 Creation)

"Consider the relationship between Jehovah and Jesus. They were together in heaven for perhaps billions of years."
    The Watchtower, August 15, 2005
    Page 27, Paragraph 15

• garybuss
    garybuss

If you want to hide something from a Jehovah's Witness, stick it in the Reasoning book. I never knew one single Jehovah's Witness that had ever read that book cover to cover.

• daystar
    daystar

garybuss

I never knew one single Jehovah's Witness that had ever read that book cover to cover.

I tried. I really did.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Well, that is pretty sneaky. I guess that they are counting on nobody remembering the old version. This way they didn't even have to do a "new light" or some kind of retraction like with the "generation".

And, apparantly they don't want to go out on a limb and say how long they are anymore - just "thousands" of years.

So, I guess the 6000 years of mans existence and the 1000 year reign of christ don't mean diddly squat anymore, either. And that was a good part of the armaggedon 1975 rationale!

Breathtaking arrogance, I must say.

• heathen
    heathen

I think more interesting is the lack of mention in recent articles that the 666 or anti christ beast is the US and British alliance . It seems the scarlet beast likes the harlot and is opposing the WTBTS for the time being . Now this is the stuff that keeps me coming back to the site here .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit