How do JW know they have the Truth?

by Noggin 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

1. the bible is the final say [except when the governing body deems otherwise]

2. the governing body by means of God's Direction via the holy spirit determines what the bible's final say means.[by 2/3rd vote]

3. disagreement with the governing body means disloyalty to God. [unless you are on the governing body]

4. The governing body is not inspired and so can and does make mistakes [but you can't]

5. your catching those mistakes is an act of insubordination and treason. [unless you are a JW lawyer]

6. independent thinking is of Satan. [unless you are of the governing body, then it is your job]

7. Waiting on Jehovah to fix things is loyalty [unless of course you are a non-JW, then it is dis-loyalty to Jehovah]

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

It strikes me that you want affirmation of your initial assumption. You have rejected almost everything else as "not quite what you were looking for." However, as Narkissos has pointed out, there is no pressure to express such an experience as you posed at the outset. Any or all of the points that Narkissos, GaryBuss, zen nudist, or I have posted are equally correct.

The fact is, whatever convinces a specific individual in the group is satisfactory to everyone else whether they were convinced by the same means or not. If I said I knew it was the truth because of the scholastic atmosphere at the Kingdom Hall, I would get several appreciative nods and a few comments about how amazing it is that different things draw different people.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• Noggin
    Noggin

Hello AuldSoul

You are completely correct. I do have a set of circumstances in mind that I want to vindicate. If it is appearing far too myopic on my part then I apologize. I know what my experience was when I studied with the Jehovah's Witnesses. I was told that my experience was unlikely or probably rare. So I wanted to find out how far on the rare side it was.

Revelation is for the main leaders producing watchtower literature not exactly for the general lay member. However, members are encouraged to pray and seek guidance for important life events and can feel close to god through basking in some form of spiritual closeness attributed to the JW god.

Likewise, investigators or "student" looking in to JW especially those coming from other religions are also encouraged to pray about what they are reading and learning. At this point it gets fuzzy. You cleared it up with this:

The fact is, whatever convinces a specific individual in the group is satisfactory to everyone else whether they were convinced by the same means or not. If I said I knew it was the truth because of the scholastic atmosphere at the Kingdom Hall, I would get several appreciative nods and a few comments about how amazing it is that different things draw different people.

And that casts a broad net which also basically includes my experience of asking God if it was true or not (I never did, by the way, the format seemed too contrived to get past the first couple of study sessions).

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. Thanks for the patience and willingness to explain much.

Noggin

• Shining One
    Shining One

Snarkie,
    You have a lot to learn, old chap.
    >I have found a similar pattern among Evangelicals: the "catch" message is, "accept Jesus as your Lord and Saviour and you will be saved / born again"; but if someone says "I accepted Jesus but I felt nothing particular," the prepared answer is: "trust the Scriptures: you are saved / born again because they say so, even though you may have felt nothing particular."
    It is not (usually) about feelings at all (being saved). It is a reasoned approach to the message of the New Testament. It is also a simple formula that practically anyone can understand.
    1 Corinthians 15:1-8 "Now, brothers, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain. For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance : that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, and that he appeared to Peter, and then to the Twelve. After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep. Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles, and last of all he appeared to me also, as to one abnormally born."
    That is the gospel but there is more:
    For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Rom. 6:23)
    In reply Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again." (John 3:3) Believe you are a sinner and in need of salvation.
    "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." (John 3:16) Why He came to die.
    "That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. As the Scripture says, "Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame." For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile--the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Rom. 10:9-12) A promise from God: believe; confess; and profess belief in Christ Jesus.
    And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again. (1 Cor. 5:15) The evidence that you are a believer.
    For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. (Eph. 2:8-10) You are not saved by ANY good works, including baptism. You are saved by grace and for the purpose of doing good works. Don't get the cart ahead of the horse. Sure, we cannot completely separate feelings from reasoning. You first understand the gospel message, then it is up to you to accept or reject it. You don't believe that? I saw my questions answered in an unmistakable way and the realization was at the moment that I finally realized that Jesus claimed to be (and is) God: early Christians worshipped Him: and the Jews expected a God! I set out to disprove the trinity teaching and instead I found the deity of Christ. After that the Holy Spirit made Himself known to me and I embraced the solid doctrines of orthodoxy.
    What we receive is peace with God and the peace of God. As a Christian develops into maturity he/she grows in knowledge, faith and attitude. The prayer life becomes more focused and fruitful. The testimony is easier to relay to people who see the evidence of that peace of God. We are the body of Christ: He still works and ministers on Earth, through those who have genuine faith. The inner light is what I refer to: "I am the light of the world" as our Lord said in John 9:5.
    Rex

• free2beme
    free2beme

Mormon do the same thing. No difference!

One difference - If your a Mormon you do not see it.

• KW13
    KW13

they don't but they keep fooling themselves.

there is no truth. christ only ever concentrated on one thing, and that was the message. i don't remember him saying about an org, a truth or anything. that was the LEAST important.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan
    How do JW know they have the Truth?

I think you could ask "Do they know they have the truth?"

There's a difference between thinking something, hoping for something, having a faith in something, wishing something, wanting something - and - knowing something (whether you desire it or not).

How many know they have the truth ?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

they just know, duh!

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

After reading bits and pieces of this thread I have come to a shocking realization.

The WTS' Governing Body (GB) believes in and has their own Bible Code!!!!

How did I ever miss this?

They take a half a scripture here and a chapter there and a few words somewhere else and connect the dots to provide JWs their "spiritual food"

• The GB tell JWs they alone are qualified to understand that code.
    • They are qualified because God tells them they are qualified
    • Even if someone comes up with an understanding before the GB does, they will be marked as "jumping ahead" of God's org - a very bad thing to do because only the GB can come to those understandings.
    • No apology will ever be given to the one who understood it first. "Jumping ahead" can result in being removed from the org by means of disfellowshipping (DFing)
    • When the GB finally realizes they were wrong about something (like the end coming in 1975) they blame it on being imperfect men but JWs must still believe every word they utter because they are driven spirit by God's spirit.
    • When they finally realize they were wrong they will blame JWs for jumping to conclusions that the GB never meant even though JWs were told they MUST believe whatever the GB teaches.
    • When they discover they were wrong they will state that they were right about the timing of the evet but just had the meaning wrong.
    • They claim that they are the only ones preaching the "good news of the kingdom" in all the inhabited earth (this good news is that God is going to kill everyone except faithful JWs who believe every word they say)
  • KW13
    KW13

yeh, good point L.L

things like only the annointed partake, its become a very important thing yet not in the bible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit