Was Jesus such a great guy after all?

by Hellrider 37 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ObservingTexan
    ObservingTexan

Here are 3 observations I find in the comments of this thread.

1. Some are bitter towards God.

2. Some apparently didn't bother to seek out some other expert source, such as Matthew Henry's Commentary, to help explain the entire context of the verses referenced.

3. The WTS "Jesus can't be God" theology is alive and well.

• IW
    IW

If the account under discussion had been recorded in both Mark and Matthew using the same exact wording and order some would find fault with that also. A difference in wording is not enough to throw doubt on the whole thing.

Just my opinion.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I'm fairly confident that Leolaia's, Narkissos' and my comments weren't not made to "throw doubt" upon the stroy but rather to analyse the intent and purpose of the story using available scholarship. If that has caused you to doubt something then perhaps what you believe to be the intent and purpose of the story should be thrown into doubt.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Observing Texan, tell me how helpful did you find Mathew Henry's Commentary? I find absolutely nothing said about Matt's varient wording with Mark. I found absolutley nothing said about scholarship's opinions of the significance of the varients. All I find is the usual preachy written sermon about Jesus' love despite the appearance of indifference.

By seeming to draw away the desired mercy from her, he drew her on to be so much the more importunate for it. Note, Every accepted prayer is not immediately an answered prayer. Sometimes God seems not to regard his people's prayers, like a man asleep or astonished (Ps. xliv. 23; Jer. xiv. 9; Ps. xxii. 1, 2); nay, to be angry at them (Ps. lxxx. 4; Lam. iii. 8, 44); but it is to prove, and so to improve, their faith, and to make his after-appearances for them the more glorious to himself, and the more welcome to them; for the vision, at the end, shall speak, and shall not lie, Heb. ii. 3. See Job xxxv. 14.

Does that type of sermonizing satisfy you? So Jesus was rude and aloof to strengthen her faith, and make her beg.

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Here are 3 observations I find in the comments of this thread.

1. Some are bitter towards God. Not really. I`m an agnostic, I can`t even make up my mind on whether he exists or not. I posted the verse because I have always had this "well, maybe Jahveh was a jealous, murdering s.o.b., but at least Jesus was fantastic"-attitude. Only lately have I begun to see some of the verses in a different light.
    2. Some apparently didn't bother to seek out some other expert source, such as Matthew Henry's Commentary, to help explain the entire context of the verses referenced. I read every commentary I can get my hands on. Often, they are very good, but just as often, the commentaries are written by christian theologians (theologians that are christians themselves), people who themselves see the passages in a positive light. And I`m not so sure that that is the right way to do it.
    3. The WTS "Jesus can't be God" theology is alive and well. Not in my view, I see the trinity-doctrine as a better solution/overall view than the JW-version. But even within a trinitarian view, that doesn`t make the passage in Matthew any easier on the eye.

• The
    The

imho Yes, Jesus was and still is a great guy.

• ObservingTexan
    ObservingTexan
    Observing Texan, tell me how helpful did you find Mathew Henry's Commentary? I find absolutely nothing said about Matt's varient wording with Mark. I found absolutley nothing said about scholarship's opinions of the significance of the varients. All I find is the usual preachy written sermon about Jesus' love despite the appearance of indifference.

By seeming to draw away the desired mercy from her, he drew her on to be so much the more importunate for it. Note, Every accepted prayer is not immediately an answered prayer. Sometimes God seems not to regard his people's prayers, like a man asleep or astonished (Ps. xliv. 23; Jer. xiv. 9; Ps. xxii. 1, 2); nay, to be angry at them (Ps. lxxx. 4; Lam. iii. 8, 44); but it is to prove, and so to improve, their faith, and to make his after-appearances for them the more glorious to himself, and the more welcome to them; for the vision, at the end, shall speak, and shall not lie, Heb. ii. 3. See Job xxxv. 14.

Does that type of sermonizing satisfy you? So Jesus was rude and aloof to strengthen her faith, and make her beg

I find it completely fruitless to argue with a blind man that the orange sitting in front of him is actually orange. I am sure you would agree.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

OT:That was condescending and unnecessary...

IMHO Henry's commentary isn't anywhere near the best.

As for the original question; wasn't he allowed to have the occasional bad day? It seems like Daddy had them often...

• luna2
    luna2

I love you, Little Toe!

I will admit to not looking at commentaries and such and so should probably keep quiet on these topics. (I do read everything that Leolaia and Nark and our other scholars post here, though.) I have some personal bitterness about my excessive gullibilty so I can be somewhat harsh in my commentary from time to time.

• gumby
    gumby
    I will admit to not looking at commentaries and such and so should probably keep quiet on these topics. ......................I have some personal bitterness about my excessive gullibilty

Luna ya little rose..........you are not alone in feeling gullible.

Actually, the same can be said about believers. Many of them will not/do not look at what sceptics of the bible write. They will also take a weak quote from a not so reliable source and use it as a barometer as to how unbelievers view things.

Gumgullible

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit