Why did Jehovah make Jews kill for the Promise Land?!!!!

by Spectrum 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• freetosee
    freetosee

I copied some of the (verse-by-verse) Adam Clarke Commentaries (ACC) as follows (Emphasis always mine):

1 Sam 15:3

Verse 3 . Slay both man and woman -Nothing could justify such an exterminating decree BUT THE ABSOLUTE AUTORITY OF GOD. This was given: ALL THE REASON OF IT WE DO NOT KNOW; but this we know well, The Judge of all the earth doth right. This war was not for plunder, for God commanded that all the property as well as all the people should be destroyed. (ACC)

Verse 33 . As thy sword hath made women childless -It appears that Agag had forfeited his life by his own personal transgressions, and that his death now was the retribution of his cruelties.

And Samuel hewed Agag in pieces -1. What Samuel DID here he did in his magisterial capacity; and, 2. It is NOT likely he did it by his OWN SWORD, BUT by that of an EXECUTIONER. What kings, magistrates, and generals do, in an official way, by their subjects, servants, or soldiers, they are said to do themselves; qui facit per alterum, facit per se. (ACC)

Psalm 137:8, 9

These prophetic declarations contain no excitement to any person or persons to commit acts of cruelty and barbarity; but are simply declarative of what would take place in the order of the retributive providence and justice of God, and the general opinion that should in consequence be expressed on the subject; therefore praying for the destruction of our enemies is totally out of the question. It should not be omitted that the Chaldee considers this Psalm a dialogue, which it thus divides:-The three first verses are supposed to have been spoken by the psalmist, By the rivers, Psalms 137:4 , How shall we sing, Holy Spirit responds in Psalms 137:5,6 , If I forget thee, Michael, the prince of Jerusalem, answers in Psalms 137:7 , Remember, O Lord, Gabriel, the prince of Zion, then addresses the destroyer of the Babylonish nation, in Psalms 137:8,9 , Happy shall be he that rewardeth thee, was sacked, both male and female, old and young, was a common practice in ancient times. … These excesses were common in all barbarous nations, and are only prophetically declared here. He shall be reputed happy, prosperous, and highly commendable, who shall destroy

Judges 19:24-30

Verse 24 . Here is my daughter, a maiden -Such a proposal was made by to the men of , Genesis 19:8, but nothing can excuse either. That the rights of hospitality were sacred in the East, and most highly regarded we know; and that a man would defend, at the expense of his life, the stranger whom he had admitted under his roof, is true; but how a father could make such a proposal relative to his virgin daughter, must remain among those things which are incomprehensible. (ACC)

Verse 29 . Divided her-into twelve pieces -There is no doubt that with the pieces he sent to each tribe a circumstantial account of the barbarity of the men of Gibeah; and it is very likely that they considered each of the pieces as expressing an execration, "If ye will not come and avenge my wrongs, may ye be hewn in pieces like this abused and murdered woman!" (ACC)

Judges 21:13-18

Verse 14 . Yet so they sufficed them not. -There were six hundred men at Rimmon, and all the young women they saved from Jabesh were only four hundred; therefore, there were two hundred still wanting. (ACC)

Judges21:19-23 (THIS IS ORGANIZED RAPE!)

Verse 21 . And catch you every man his wife
    That is, Let each man of the two hundred Benjamites seize and carry off a woman, whom he is, from that hour, to consider as his wife. (ACC)

Numbers 31:17, 18 (KJ)

“Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, KEEP ALIVE FOR YOURSELVES.”

Verse 17 . Kill every male among the little ones -For this action I account simply on the principle that God, who is the author and supporter of life, has a right to dispose of it when and how he thinks proper; and the Judge of all the earth can do nothing but what is right. Of the women killed on this occasion it may be safely said, their lives were forfeited by their personal transgressions; and yet even in this case there can be little doubt that God showed mercy to their souls. The little ones were safely lodged; they were taken to heaven and saved from the evil to come. (ACC)

Verse 18

No comment by ACC!

The female children were spared, who, being brought up among the Israelites, would not tempt them to idolatry. The whole history shows the hatefulness of sin, and the guilt of tempting others; it teaches us to avoid all occasions of evil, and to give no quarter to inward lusts. The women and children were NOT KEPT FOR SINFUL PURPOSES, but for slaves, A CUSTOM EVERY WHERE PRACTISED IN FORMER TIMES, as to captives. ( Matthew Henry Commentary)

This is absolutely not true! Rape was very rampant in those days. Just reading all the above scriptures show how females were considered (also De 28:30, Isa 13:16, Zac14:2). If God says it is just, then evil is good. My conscience does not allow me to agree with this.

Freetosee

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Their acceptance though immediately exposes them as apologists for such attrocities and as such must be rejected if you have any sense of justice and love in you.

Spectrum....That last bit sounds unecessarily personal; of course I recognize the role that such texts have played in the ugly history of genocide, and its contemporary role in ideologically influencing domestic policy in Israel. See for instance this article: http://www.urban-renaissance.org/urbanren/index.cfm?DSP=content&ContentID=7459. Ironically, the first half of the Israelite story, from-slavery-to-freedom, has been used by oppressed peoples to substantiate hopes for change; such that "Zion" to American blacks under slavery had a very different meaning than it would have had for Puritan settlers (who viewed America as their "Promised Land" from oppressive England, but who in turn oppressed native Americans in the region and justified their behavior by construing the "heathen" Indians as analogues for Canaanites conquered by Israel). So a text can cut both ways, often due to the agenda and intentions of the group that uses it to justify themselves....

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

Leolaia,

"Spectrum....That last bit sounds unecessarily personal;"

Absolutely not. None of it was directed at you. Apologies, if I didn't make myself clear.

• kilroy2
    kilroy2

did you ever get the feeling that we as former cult members are trying to understand the Chewbacca defense?

What I am saying is what this must look like to some one from the outside looking in, Think of it this way, if we dropped by an ex scientology forum, and some one had a thread about xenu and how could you carry all those galactic prisoners to the volcano's and kill them ect. I agree with your position on the bible, and the dubbers, just a bunch of poppycock, both, but sometimes I stand back and laugh thinking what other non dub people think

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit