Why did you have children (or not)?

by JustAThought 11 Replies latest jw friends

• JustAThought
    JustAThought

Ok, after reading some of the responses in the Mental Health and Depression Forum ... and of the Mormons' urging of their followers to have large families, ... and participating in the discussion on the costs associated with having and raising children, ... the question comes up ...

For those of you with children OR NOT, or those contemplating having children OR NOT, ... what factors did/do you consider in making your decision (or, was there any decision-making involved)?

Do you think children, largely, are just a by-product of sexual activity between fertile men and women, ... or are there other, deeper issues involved?

Do you think that this is something which is largely pre-programmed in us, or is it something we learn from our cultural environments. Do you think attitudes toward childbearing are changing, and do you see any implications for the future of the human race in this?

JustAThought

• wasasister
    wasasister

I planned both my pregnancies. It was a decision, not an accident.

I thought at the time I had something to contribute in being a good parent; that I could raise happy, decent, and well-adjusted people. That was 25 years ago, and I am happy with my deicisions. Both kids have turned into great people.

So, now there are two more responsible contributing members of society than there would have been without me. I suppose I can feel good about that.

Plus, I have the extra advantage of making them feel guilty when I'm old and I want to move in with one of them.

• joelbear
    joelbear

mitch and i keep trying

i do look kinda pregnant

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

Joel, that's the funniest thing I've read all day!!

Slipnslidemaster: "If you were plowing a field, which would you rather use? Two strong oxen or 1024 chickens?"
    - Seymour Cray

• betweenworlds
    betweenworlds

rofl joel <still chuckling>

hugs

BW

"The important thing is to not stop questioning" Albert Einstein

• bboyneko
    bboyneko

baby= a small, drooling, pooping, peein', dumb-ass hairless toothless huge-headed freak that smells funny

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

I planned my first child but the last two were unexpected. Goes to show you that condems don't always work.

Is there a way I can give them back?

• individuals wife
    individuals wife

bboyneko.... mmm, sounds like an elder I once knew...

• JanH
    JanH

I'm with bboy.

And damn time consuming and fun-deprieving... No thanks

- Jan
    --
    "Doctor how can you diagnose someone with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and then act like I had some choice about barging in here right now?" -- As Good As It Gets

• MrMoe 2
    MrMoe 2

My daughter was not planned, but she was the best thing that ever happened to me. She and I will love each other until the day we die. It is an unconditional love that you will NEVER replace or substitute. I can't explain how a mother feels when she has love for her child - but it is so awesome.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit