144000 does it make sense?

by scrubmaster 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• scrubmaster
    scrubmaster

I wish we there was a search function on this board, I am sure this topic has been addressed. But when and if you believe in the bible would it make since that there was less then a 144,000 anointed Christians in the early christians times. I mean the bible states the whole world at the time had been filled with the the teachings of the christians. That being the case based on the population as a whole may have been back there is it does not seem possible that there were not 144,000 Christians or more.

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

It makes sense that 144000 is a mystical number, not a literal one. If you read the Rutherford transcripts of his two class system you can see he realised that his organization was to exceed the capped, 144000, people. So, he declared in 1935 that from that point on, there would be no more takers into heaven. This was Rutherford's idea to solve a doctrinal problem.

steve

• FairMind
    FairMind

The idea that the majority of mankind who achieve everlasting life will have it here on Earth makes plenty of sense. The idea that only 144,000 enjoy immortality in Heaven is a more speculative proposition. The number could be symbolic or maybe it is literal but either way I don't think it matters .

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

The fact that it is a LITERAL number, but every other godamn number in Revealtion is NOT LITERAL but figurative - that is totally illogical

• heathen
    heathen

I think it is literal . The 144k are christian martyrs . Revelation is very clear that the end does not happen until the last one is murdered .The GC on the other hand survive the GT and escape as the kingdom arrives on earth . They are the ones I believe the apostle Paul was talking about being changed and then going to be with the lord . The WTBTS makes a very confused mess out their dogma.

• peacefulpete
  • stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

yesgreat link thanks peacefulpete - as usual a brilliant piece of work by Leolaia

• lawrence
    lawrence

144,000 is as literal as 72 virgins waiting for Muslim martyrs. 666 = Nero, as does Nine Inch Nails = the 7 bowls poured out between Cedar Rapids 1922 and 1928, oh yeah and look what happened - The Great depression and the ascension of Charles Taze Russell to meet Moses' body hid from Satan. Oh yeah, now we see!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

The fact that 144,000 is still a huge number that no individual human is likely ever to attempt to count, continues to make it serve it's purpose as being symbolic. Our minds reach a point of going blank, when faced with the idea of that many individuals.

To that end it serves as a suitable representation of the innumerable host. A number that is somehow finite, rather than infinite/universal, making it a "elect club" that we are psychologically drawn towards desiring to become part of.

That is unless the idea of joining is demonised to the point that it becomes anathema to us as individuals. Ergo the WTS approach...

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    The idea that the majority of mankind who achieve everlasting life will have it here on Earth makes plenty of sense.

I give up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit