One of the long term effects of growing up a JW...

by Pwned 54 Replies latest jw friends

• dinah
    dinah

These are just my thoughts so,,,,,

When you are a JW, everything bad that ever happens is blamed on Satan and the demons. Flat tire on the way to the Kingdumb Hall--Satan doesn't want you at the meetings. Anything that might interfere with meetings or service is put there by demons.

I've never seen such paranoid people. I watch every kind of horror movie ever made. Not been attacked yet. I remember when the Exorcist came out in the 70's we were told if we even viewed the previews we were open for attack. Pah-Leeeeeszzzz

It's just a fear you have to face. But the only thing you have to fear is fear itself.

• Pwned
    Pwned

the thing is i don't walk around afraid, i have seen the exorcist, i have read books on witchcraft, you know all the things that JWs warn you not to do, etc. Its just that every so often I have one of these nightmares, more annoying really than anything else.

• IW
    IW

The Watchtower teaches fear of demons. Ironically, it's the very human and fleshly men in the Watchtower hierarchy that are the cause of the pain and trouble in the Society more than any demons!

Terrible dreams are very common, don't let it get you down. The advice to seek some professional help is a good one and may calm your anxiety. Also, sometimes prayer can help.

Hope all goes well for you.

IW

• Undecided
    Undecided

Never had any fears when a child as a JW. My dad enjoyed life and instilled this in my brother and I. When I left in 74 I never feared 1975 at all. I just enjoyed my life each day and to hell with armageddon or demons.

Ken P.

• Synergy
    Synergy

Even though I've been out for a long time and I'm very much involved in my church and I do not think of demons like I used to, YES! I still have nightmares sometimes. In the recent past, I had nightmares, the same one recurring, about demons attacking me, on a nightly basis and it lasted a couple weeks. Keep praying and know that it isn't because "You left JW's so you belong to Satan" that''s horse crap!

Renee (of the UNdemonized class)

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

Looking back, I realised I was terrified of anything remotely demonic.
    I've faded for 10 years now and the nightmares about demon attacks only stopped about 8 months ago.
    That's about 33 years of baaad dreams and of course I couldn't tell anyone.More study, more prayer, more F/S, nothing I did was ever enough. And the years of depression and guilt!
    Some of the pictures that Danny Haszard puts up sometimes remind me of this indoctrination of fear on a par with the worst the Catholics ever dreamed up.

• tsunami_rid3r
    tsunami_rid3r

Try moving away physically. I feel like a new person now. I feel so spiritual.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce
    Try moving away physically. I feel like a new person now. I feel so spiritual

Dear Tsunami.. how does one "move away physically" from ones nightmares? Sounds like you've severed your own head? You're right bro - time and distance are great healers. unc who had demon-mares well into his 20's

• MuadDib
    MuadDib

I've never had a demon-related nightmare, but when I was younger I I was terrified of demons. My mother had a close friend, a pioneer sister, who claimed to have had close experiences with demons (the urban legend of being in a school bathroom when a group of "worldly" girls held a seance with a ouija board was one she told) and, being a superstititous young JW, I became quite paranoid about the presence of supernatural entities able to maliciously manipulate our lives. Even the trailers of movies about demonic possession made me extremely uneasy, and I remember one night in ninth grade when merely holding a conversation about the movie The Exorcist had me looking back over my shoulder the entire bike ride home (conducted at around 2 am).

The ironic thing is that now that I'm out I find myself very intrigued by demonology and legends about malifecent spirits from around the world. I'm especially interested in vampire legends, which I think are a sweet aspect of European folklore - there are very rich and imaginative stories about vampires both ancient and modern. When you reduce the notion of demonology to just one more aspect of the dynamic and vibrant spiritual culture universal to just about every human society, it takes the fear out of you. You kind of learn to think of them simply as stories, just like any other fairy tale, and you can take from them whatever themes or lessons you find in them. There's no need to worry about any influence on your thinking, because you decide yourself how what you learn will influence you.

And that's a freedom you could never have in the JWs.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

I'm no psychiatrist but one demon cure could be to go and experience some real fear.

Once I was snuggled up sleeping in a jungle hut and opened my eyes to see in the dim light a big hairy dinner plate size spider spider creeping on the grass ceiling and then suddenly it leapt 2' onto a rafter, pouncing on and noisily consuming a 4" bush roach ... bwwwwrrrr I still shudder at the memory..lol I'd rather suffer the demons than the spiders ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit