It's turning out our religion is one of the worst offenders when it comes to child abuse

by My Name is of No Consequence 13 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

Remember when we pointed out how bad child abuse was among Christendom? Over the last few years, I haven't heard anything about the rampant abuse claims in Christendom. It's turning out that we have our own to deal with, a lot to deal with.

Isn't that something? It's turning out the WE are one of the worst offenders. For years, we heard from the platform and read in print about the massive problem that other religions were having with children being abused by "trusted men", but not so much now...

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

I am Catholic and I volunteer in youth ministry.

I had to get a background check, get fingerprinted and trained in how to identify and avoid child abuse. Yes there was a problem with abuse, but at least the local church has taken it very seriously and is doing everything possible to make sure it doesn't happen again.

How long till the watchtower admits their mistakes and do everything possible to rectify them?

• blondie
    blondie

www.snapnetwork.org

Don't depend on what you hear. This organization is still fighting the Catholic Church...check their stats. They also work with ex-jws regarding abuse in the WTS.

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

@little_Socrates:

How long till the watchtower admits their mistakes and do everything possible to rectify them?

When the law suits and bad publicity are a daily topic on the evening news. We may be very close to that happening.

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

Don't depend on what you hear. This organization is still fighting the Catholic Church...check their stats. They also work with ex-jws regarding abuse in the WTS.

"Don't depend on what you hear" What do you mean by this? I know there was a problem and I know that there are probably victims that haven't felt like they got justice yet. I never claimed otherwise. The headline case on the page was from about 20 years ago. Are they pursing any current or recent cases of abuse?

• Watchtower-Free
  • jhine
    jhine

The Church of England has a strict procedure of reporting suspected abuse of children and vulnerable adults . I can't.remember all the details but our local Vicar is the "Child and Vulnerable Adult Support Officer " for the diocese.

Jan

• blondie
    blondie

I can see that some don't know much about this group. I would check into them more closely. They brought about the disclosure and legal pressure on the Catholic Church, the results people see today.

http://www.snapnetwork.org/news

http://www.snapnetwork.org/q_a_about_snap

http://www.snapnetwork.org/our_guess_bishops_still_hiding_1000s_of_us_predator_priests

http://www.snapnetwork.org/about

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Its good to see other religions are taking an affirmative stand against pedophilia, as for the JWS well thats an another story.

This organization is mostly concerned about its own perceived outward image which is strenuously devised to market itself to the general public.

The WTS/JWS are the show time illusionists in the pretentious religious market.

• StrongHaiku
    StrongHaiku

How long till the watchtower admits their mistakes and do everything possible to rectify them?"

Those are actually two separate good questions:

"How long till the Watchtower admits their mistakes?" - If past history is any indication of pattern: Never. They may change policies under the radar and ret-con their history. But admitting that they made a mistake? Never. Never. Never.

"How long till Watchtower...do everything possible to rectify them?": I imagine like any company the GB consults with a professional Actuary that provides the financial risks of maintaining any one position/doctrine (e.g. pedophilia, blood, etc.). This is no different than when a company evaluates a safety feature and computes the cost of implementing it vs. the possible wrongful-death lawsuits. They go with whatever number is lower. The GB almost certainly has done a similar calculation with their insurance actuaries and attorneys. I can imagine they weighed the perception/image cost of changing their doctrine (and admitting mistakes) vs. the possibility of lawsuits. Very sang-froid...So until the lawsuit costs are higher than the change in policy, it is likely that nothing will change. And, changing now would be to admit a major mistake which is a pretty high cost for them. We shall see...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit