Advice for non-JW please

by Joe Grundy 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Sorry if I'm repeating what others have said, but I haven't time to read all of the posts.

If you have gone along to meetings, especially the Memorial, they regard you as an 'Interested Person'. They may or may not be counting time that they spend with you on a social level depending on their sincerity, but since it is evident to them that you are willing to discuss religious subjects, their motive is likely to develop your interest specifically in the Witnesses, and to show you what lovely, 'normal' people they are. (Despite the fact that most Witnesses do lead relatively normal lives, parading 'normality' like it's some kind of badge is just weird.)

It can be difficult to discern between sincerity and love-bombing with some Witnesses because it is strongly indoctrinated that being a nice person will draw people to the 'Truth', but many of them are genuinely friendly.

Unless you are actually interested in becoming indoctrinated, I would politely decline any further invitations to attend JW meetings or social (congregational) functions. If they are still interested in being your friend without insisting on religious discussions, then welcome their friendship, but make the boundaries clear.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit