non-denom bible study groups

by TheListener 15 Replies latest jw friends

• TheListener
    TheListener

Is there any such thing as a church or group that gathers together to study the Bible and share information without ramming it down everyone's throad and trying to disfellowship anyone who doesn't agree?

I'd love to eventually attend a bible study group where an exchange of ideas can be had without everyone getting offended or defensive. Sort of like here, but different.

• blondie
    blondie

"home church"

key word for finding ways to meeting with 2 or 3 other people of similar bent...check the internet for suggestions.

Blondie

• daystar
    daystar

Heh, I thought the subject was "non-demon" bible study groups at first.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    an exchange of ideas can be had without everyone getting offended or defensive. Sort of like here, but different.

ROTFL!

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

I think independent small churches are good.

My parents go to one in California that is really great. The people have been so supportive and loving. They understand when my mother has to travel for work and be gone for 6-12 weeks at a time. They are always kind and sweet to me and the boys when we visit. The message is Love, forgiveness, imperfection, public service/volunteerism at every single bible study/sermon.

When I first started going to churches in this area just to show my husband the differences between JW's and everything else...I went to The Church of The Nazarene. The people were very nice, they have a college here in Massachusetts called Eastern Nazarene College. But when we really started digging into what the church believed...Darling Husband didn't want to go anymore because he felt their beliefs to be biblically inaccurate. They don't believe in drinking or unmarried people dancing. I was fine with this because it was a nice place to be even though I didn't agree with those beliefs either...because everyone was so nice.

I don't think there is any perfect place...

Best Regards,

Chrystal

• daystar
    daystar

I tell you, I've been seriously looking at the Unitarian Universalist Association. http://www.uua.org/

They are so non-denominational that in my area they even have a pagan congregation.

However, most of their congregations tend to lean to the more Christian (or simply humanist) side in philosophy.

• M.J.
    M.J.

Taking blondie's suggestion I found this article on "house churches" : http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_hous.htm

Here's one site on house churches...http://housechurch.org/faq.html

No idea how well it fits the bill, or whether it's some kind of sectarian thing.

here's another network: http://homechurch.meetup.com/

• Woodsman
    Woodsman

when I feel the need I intend to go to a Unitarian meeting.

• serendipity
    serendipity

There are Biblical Unitarian home churches as well.

• moggy lover
    moggy lover

There are several such groups that are around, and by searching, I am sure that you will find one. In fact, very few groups are like the WTS in that they lay down the law to everyone in the fellowship, on pain of expulsion. Thess ones are cultic, and to be avoided.

However, do not be disappointed in that there is no group that permits TOTAL uncorformity. Every fellowship, like ours, which is Baptist, has at least a base list of teachings which are not negotiable.

These may for instance either be Trinitarian, or Unitarian. [I am unaware of any fellowship that allows both doctrines, except enlightened ones like JWD]

Charasmatic or Non [ie tongue speaking, or not] There are a few who don't make an issue of this, but these are rare.

The Integrity of Scripture. [ie there will be those who teach that the Bible is inerrant, and those who will teach otherwise]

But other than this there is a wide divergence of opinion granted an individual to interpret Scripture according to his/her leading

Good hunting

Cheers

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit