World Religion

by mavie 20 Replies latest jw friends

• EAGLE-1
  • candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

mavie..i dont remember where i read it.. i recall that yahweh was a storm god..

maybe a google search of origins of monotheism or history of monotheism?

• EAGLE-1
    EAGLE-1

Look up Baal in Wikipedia.Suggest reading this article.Suggests Jehovah was a tribal god.At least to me.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Eagle1, few religious groups have suffered as harshly under the Mullas than the Baha'is and as one (a Baha'i) you would think I would revel in Muslim bashing, however, to the contrary, I read the material on the Atheist web site and I can only shake my head in saddness at how people can look to denigrate what was a beautiful faith that has contributed so much to civilization as that of Islam by judging it on what it has become , and a minority thereof at that. There are fanatics of the worst kind in all the worlds religions that have left behind the pure teachings of their founders, distorted the teachings for personal gain and often for political gain. The author I fear is pretty well grounded in prejudice agains religion of any source and cannot allow himself to see the wonder of the Koran given Muhammed was illiterate.

carmelb

• mavie
    mavie

Thanks for the links, I hope to gain an understanding of the history of religion through my study. I expect this to take a lifetime.

• mavie
    mavie

Carmel, I have to agree with you on this one. I work with a Muslim and we often discuss current events. He and I both agree that our respective faiths leave no room for the type of extremists we see today. Both of us have never come upon a faith that would allow someone in modern times to kill in the name of God, only those on the fringe of the faith believe that.

• EAGLE-1
    EAGLE-1

I work with Muslims.My doctors are Muslims.I shop at stores owned by Muslims.Did I state that I agree verbatim?Sorry about TRYING to help.All religion has a violent history.Its a fact.I was trying to point in a direction not lead.Do what you want or think what you want,I dont really care.If I post a Star Trek website will I be flamed for believing in Capt. Kirk? Jeez

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

The Koran is well worth reading

• mavie
    mavie

Eagle1, please don't take offense. I think we are all after the same thing here.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

mavie....Check out Yahweh and the Gods and Goddesses of Canaan by ancient Near East scholar John Day.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit