World Religion

by mavie 20 Replies latest jw friends

• mavie
    mavie

Over the past month, I've had this huge desire to explore 'forbidden' topics. I'm wondering if anyone else has gone through this phase.

I've downloaded and explored the Qu'ran, Vedic Scripture, Buddhist teachings, etc... I just can't get enough right now.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

its amazing isnt it?

there are so many different religions, theories, cultures that once your free to explore, you just dont know what will interest you!

• EAGLE-1
    EAGLE-1

Oh yea .Me too.Power of Myth is a great start.Early European mythology is very interesting to me.Esp. the hanged god thing.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i kinda freaked out when i read about the history of the Jews and monotheism

that they adopted YHWH from a bunch of gods they worshipped. i just pretend i didnt read that and move on LOL

• mavie
    mavie

I should say that I don't necessary put faith in these things right now...all I've ever heard about them is negative.

That being said, I want to approach it from a critical viewpoint. What can I learn about Islamic culture? What about Hindus? I try to see these books the historical context of the times...why were they written, etc...

• mavie
    mavie
    i kinda freaked out when i read about the history of the Jews and monotheism

that they adopted YHWH from a bunch of gods they worshipped. i just pretend i didnt read that and move on LOL

Where did you read that? First time I've ever heard that. I find it hard to believe.

• Carmel
    Carmel

You have a PM.

carmel

• EAGLE-1
  • EAGLE-1
    EAGLE-1

Found the above website had great info on Islam

I am not an atheist yet but this site had the best rundown of Islam plus other topics of interest

• EAGLE-1

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit