Were you a BRAT during your family bible studies?

by kid-A 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Mastodon
    Mastodon

Ahhh! This topic brings some nice memories.... While my brothers had decided that they weren't going to study the bible anymore and got out of the bOrg before they were even publishers, I stayed for my mother's sake. So while my brothers ran around like beheaded chickens, doing whatever the hell they wanted, I had to sit down and have a 2 person family study with my mom.
    This one time I was so bored and frustrated with the godammed study (I was probably 13 or 14) I started grabing my head with my hair between my fingers, almost like I was about to pull my own hair. My dear mother reached out, grabbed my hair with both hands and pulled me halfway accross the table saying: "You wanna pull your hair??? There!!!".
    So yeah, I really loved family study time...
    MASTODON (of the "paint me blue and call me a giant smurf" Class)

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

no - my kids were though

• Mulan
    Mulan

The closest thing to a family study we had when I was a kid, was my mother trying to study with me. I remember very well, when I was a young teen, asking questions she couldn't answer, and she would get mad and tell me she couldn't study with me, and would find someone else. That never worked either. I guess I wasn't an easy sell, because I've been told I argued a lot.

The thing is, I really wanted to know those things and be able to explain them. The questions I asked seemed perfectly reasonable to me, like Why, Who says so, Where does it say that, etc.? I can't think of any specifics, just remember Mom getting really mad at me.

My father was a workaholic doctor who barely made it home to get to meetings, so he was never involved in any family studies. He told me when I was about 20 that it's a good thing I was raised a JW because I would argue with a buzz saw. That should have told me something, but it took another 30 years to find out the truth.

• serendipity
    serendipity

No - my father would have killed me.

• KW13
    KW13

i was good at our studies except once i fell asleep lol. NO ONE woke me up. i think they understood

• evita
    evita

Even being a single mom, my mother was encouraged to have a family study with us. We were new in the "truth" and all 3 of us kids were having seperate bible studies with various cong. members. After my mom was baptized, she was supposed to study with us as the head of household. The study just enraged me for some reason. My behavior was the worst and I really tortured my poor mother.
    To this day I can not explain the rage and claustrophobia I felt at our family study. Even thinking about it fills me with anxiety, shame, and regret. I think that at 14 I was struggling so hard with issues of autonomy and control. We never did have a regular family study as I just would not cooperate. Even after I was baptized at 15, I refused to study.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I remember discussing in one study the dreaded subject of masturbation - that had my daughter amused to say the least

• freedom96
    freedom96

I wasn't a brat, though I did fall asleep during one once.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

My brother and I were such brats at the family study. We fought, made fun of each other's answers, acted silly, made fun of the material. My father (who was an elder and should have had more perserverance IMO) got so frutstrated he just stopped studying with us at the age of 13 and 15. He never did beat us for that at least, although he did for other things. I knew other JW kids in the hall who were beaten for giggling at studies.

Cog.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit