Meeting with 2 Dubs this Saturday...Please help with suggestions ;)

by FreedomFrog 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

Hi all,

Well, I didn't think I'd be back on JWD for awhile. But new things are happening in my life. My parents are starting to panic because of me standing for what I feel is right. So my mom calls and asks me to "study" with this elders wife, to give her and this lady one more chance before I totally throw this away. I'm agreeing to it because I did tell my mom several years ago that if she can PROVE to me that the JW's ARE the "only true religion" then I'd be right by her side. I know that they can't but I want to show her that just because I don't agree with her beliefs doesn't change me to being this aweful daughter. It's starting to come down to I will more than likely be disfellowshipped in 6 months or less. I'm ok with it, but my parents are starting to freak out.

Here's what we will discuss this Saturday. I don't feel that the bible is the "word of God". There are so many things like, it was WRITTEN by inperfect men. How can we say that they didn't decide to SAY they were inspired?

Can you help me show reasons the bible may NOT be written by God? I know some of you feel that it is. But I can't believe it. Maybe, just maybe IF there is enough PROOF, I could. But for the time being, I can't accept that. So, for those who don't... why don't you believe? And for those who do... then your input will also be appreciate.

Thanks so much guys!!!

FF

• KW13
    KW13

Well i dunno, plenty here will though!

Remember there are some other arguements too, the UN thing and the 607 stuff but the UN usually does a good job!

• robhic
    robhic

FreedomFrog, I don't know if this is 'zactly what you are looking for but it does give you some "ammunition" to question the inspired claims for the bible:

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/index.html

If you haven't seen this site before it goes thru the entire bible and shows inconsistencies, contradictions and such and also points out some of the more violent, genocidal and also sexual stuff in the "good book." I love it and you might find some useful stuff to use.

Good luck.

• Will Power
    Will Power

Hi FF
    The topic whether the bible is written by god is a dead end in my mind. You would be arguing a belief which is not based on fact. If it was based on fact - it would not be a "belief".

You might try a different avenue. Work with facts. IF THEIR BELIEF is truly GOD, and GOD cannot lie, then the exposed lies of the WT would show it is NOT God's right hand.

Lies and deceit are easier to pick out & show. - add the WT years of the kings for 607 - you'll come up with 587 using Alleymom's KISS method
    and try Rebel8's MISquotes webpage.

A real God doesn't have to trick people into following him.

good luck either way.

wp

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

LOL, the UN didn't work with my parents because they say, "well it was because Jah felt it was needed during that time and that now it's not needed and didn't need to be known". Right now, they are trying to prove to me that JW's ARE the only true religion, and if they want to, that's ok. Because I feel that with enough research, I can show them where I'm coming from. It will probably not work now, but I'm hoping that in time (after I am disfellowshipped) it will jog something in my parents mind.

• KW13
    KW13

lol, wow i don't know what to say!!

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog
    The topic whether the bible is written by god is a dead end in my mind. You would be arguing a belief which is not based on fact. If it was based on fact - it would not be a "belief".

See that's the thing. My mom feels that she and this lady that studied with her CAN prove it. I know they can't. And when it comes to "you have to just believe", that might get my mom to see in a different light. I'll look into as much avenues as I can, I have several days to get my research compiled.

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog
    I don't know if this is 'zactly what you are looking for but it does give you some "ammunition" to question the inspired claims for the bible:

Oh thank you robhic, this is a real good start.

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

Bible inspired route: as was stated, this one is going nowhere.

UN route: you said you already went there without success.

Lies, hypocrisy (pedophile situation, 607, Mexico, etc.) is where you might want to focus.

• sir82
    sir82

Here is one suggestion:

Run to a bookstore, and pick up a copy of "Misquoting Jesus", by Bart Ehrman. The basic idea of the book is:

(1) there are no original writings of the New Testament--the earliest manuscripts come from the 2nd, 3rd, 4th centuries, or later, depending on the book.

(2) In the manuscripts that do exist, there are literally thousands and thousands of copying errors / discrepancies (no Xerox machines back then). The majority of these errors are insignificant, but there are still dozens, or even hundreds, that can significantly alter doctrine or belief.

(3) Given that there are all these errors we know about, how can we have confidence that the original writings, done by the hand of Paul, Luke, etc., are the same as the copies we do have, which were written from copies of copies of copies of copies of copies of copies stretching back 100 - 300 years?

(4) And if your faith is based solely on the Bible (sola scriptura, as the JWs are), how can you have such a strong faith if you can't even be sure of what the original writers wrote?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit