Question about the 1260 and 1335 days

by mathead 19 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• mathead
    mathead

I was just at jwfacts.com and was looking at the daniel/revelation phrophecies. The book of Daniel mentions 1260 and 1335 days. The WTS interprets these dates as follows:

I got this quote from jwfacts.com

This time period is now said to refer to days and not years, and be related to the period of time between the set up of the League of Nations in Jan 8 1918 to the Cedar Point convention on September 3 1922

The prophecy of 1335 days is now applied to the time period between the Cedar Point convention on September 3 1922 and the London convention held May 1926.

end quote

My question is:

Did the WTS know the date of Sept 3,1922 marked the end of the 1260 days and the beggining of the 1335 days, before Sept3,1922

It seems likely that the WTS came up with the interpretation after Sept3,1922 and if they did it proves that they are just pulling rabbits out of hats!!. Furthermore if these interpretations are false, it will just about bring the whole fricking WTS down.

• silentWatcher
    silentWatcher

According to the "meat in due season" in the Paying Attention to Daniel’s Prophecy Book, the 1,335 days were fulfilled in May of 1926 with the release of the book Deliverance. And while we're at it, let's not forget the 1290 days either. That corresponds to Jeh-hobbie springing Rutherfraud from the Federal pokey. lol -silent

• VM44
    VM44

Judge Rutherford's 1926 book, Deliverence, is available for download in DJVU format at:

http://www.archive.org/details/Deliverence

--VM44

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Of course they are pulling rabbits out of hats ! My missus always admits that "prohecy is only discerned after it has been fulfilled" Excuse me but I thought that the trick was to foretell the future, not apply the verses to things in the past. Anybody can do that. Incidentally the Daniels Prophecy book , released 1999, comments thus on 1260 days

dp

chap. 9 pp. 142-143 pars. 28-31 Who Will Rule the World? ***

"Jehovah’s angel referred to a prophetic period of "a time, and times and half a time." How long is that? Bible expositors generally agree that this expression denotes three and a half times—the sum of one time, two times, and half a time. Since Nebuchadnezzar’s "seven times" of madness amounted to seven years, the three and a half times are three and a half years. (Daniel 4:16, 25) An American Translation reads: "They shall be handed over to him for a year, two years, and half a year." James Moffatt’s version says: "For three years and half a year." The same period is mentioned at Revelation 11:2-7, which states that God’s witnesses would preach dressed in sackcloth for 42 months, or 1,260 days, and then be killed. When did this time period begin and end?

For the anointed Christians, World War I meant a time of testing. By the end of 1914, they were expecting persecution. In fact, the very yeartext chosen for 1915 was Jesus’ question to his disciples, "Are ye able to drink of my cup?" It was based on Matthew 20:22, King James Version. Hence, beginning in December 1914, that small band of witnesses preached "in sackcloth."

As war fever took hold, the anointed Christians encountered mounting opposition. Some of them were imprisoned. Individuals, such as Frank Platt in England and Robert Clegg in Canada, were tortured by sadistic authorities. On February 12, 1918, the British Dominion of Canada banned the recently published seventh volume of Studies in the Scriptures, entitled The Finished Mystery, as well as the tracts entitled The Bible Students Monthly. The following month, the U.S. Department of Justice pronounced the distribution of the seventh volume illegal. The result? Why, homes were searched, literature was confiscated, and Jehovah’s worshipers were arrested!

Harassment of God’s anointed ones climaxed on June 21, 1918, when the president, J. F. Rutherford, and prominent members of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society were sentenced on false charges to long prison terms. Intending "to change times and law," the "small" horn had effectively killed the organized preaching work. (Revelation 11:7) So the foretold period of "a time, and times and half a time" ended in June 1918"

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I was Book Study Conductor when we studied the Daniel book and that particular reference had me scratching my head. I spent the whole weekend indoctrinating myself with the view proposed, before finally being able to sell it convincingly and with enthusiasm at the study.

It's a load of complete and utter twaddle!

Little did I know that a year or so later I would leave the JWs...

• barry
    barry

Why arent these day periods changed into years to comply with the day year principle? The SDAs do just that and at least it is consistent but the SDAs dont do that with every case of predictive phrophecy which shows they are inconsistent too.

All claims of 1844-1914 is erronious because of this reason alone also. The truth is there is no time periods after the cross AD 31 is the end of the world legally.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

The prophecies for the

o 1260 days

o 1290 days

o 1355 days

o 2300 days

all were said by Russell to have fulfillment in the 1800's. These were changed in the 1900's to 1900's applications, after the event. I do not know exactly when the changes occurred, so it would be great if someone knows.

It does not mae any difference to most JWs. They don't seem to care if teachings change, or if the WTS has had a zero success rate of prophetic prediction.

• blondie
    blondie

Watchtower interpretations of 1260 Days in Dan 7:25; 12:7, Rev 11:1-3 Jan Haugland

1881:
    The 1260 days are 1260 years and are believed to be the period of power for the Papal Church from 538 to 1798AD. [Zion's Watch Tower Dec 1881, p7]

1890:
    Changed to 539-1799AD [Zion's Watch Tower Jan-Feb 1889 p4; Studies in the Scriptures III - Thy Kingdom Come (1890), p58,63,64]

1930:
    1260 days are literal days, from a specific article in Watch Tower Nov 7 1914 to May 7, 1918 when and arrest order on WTS president and board members was issued. In Your Will Be Done this understanding is given as evidence that the "time of the end" has come and these words can be understood. [Light I, p 199; Your Will be Done on Earth p181,331]

1969:
    Changed to be from end of Gentile Times Oct 4/5 1914 to memorial Mar 26/27 1918. Explanations in Light I and Your Will is explained to be incorrect. [Then is Finished the Mystery of God, p261-263]

1977:
    Changed to Dec 28, 1914 to June 21, 1918. From when the Bible Students expected to be persecuted (!) until Rutherford and seven other WTS board members where imprisoned in 1918. Again refers to Dan 12:10 where "those having insight" will understand this text in "the time of the end." [Our Incoming World Government, p127-33]

1988:
    Goes back to 1969 interpretation. [Revelation - It's Great Climax is at Hand!, p164]

1993:
    Goes back to 1977 interpretation. [Watchtower Nov 1, 1993, p9,10]

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Great work Blondie, even better than I expected, how much changing around there has been, all because none of the explainations make any sence at all.

• mathead
    mathead

Blondie you must have a wack of old mags around!! fantastic!!

But how does the Cedar Point convention on September 3 1922 fit in to this?. It does seem that many jdubs today refer to this convention as an important date. Maybe the babylon the great book could shed some "light " on that.

These interpretations are harming the WTS. The WTS are now LOCKED in to these dates and they can't back out of them. If they change the interpretations one more time there will be a greater loss of jdubs than in 1975. I can't believe that the date of a convention was foretold by god as a marker for some crazed religious fanatics.

Until this thread, I was totally unaware that the interpretations of these dates have been changed many times. So what is the concensus here? what is todays official WTS interpretation of the 1260 and 1335 days??

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit