the film: United 93

by MegaDude 13 Replies latest jw friends

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Good film. What I really respect about it is it is no Hollywood version of what happened on that day. There is sparse use of music to try to pump up your emotions. The story is shown so matter of factly that you feel like you are watching a filmed version of the real events. There are no famous actors in the movie.

The film moves between basically four groups to tell its story: The people at air control, the military control center, the Arabs who took the plane, and the passengers.

The director is very effective at showing the cluster**** that resulted in communications between the people who made the decisions to handle the attack, their shock and their slow acceptance of the unbelievable, the passing of erroneous information which results in a catastrophic event of this magnitude. The Arab hijackers, at least to me, were victims also. Victims of a religion they were trained to hypnotize themselves with. In fact, the film opens with a black screen and you hear the chanting of their prayer as they ready themselves to begin their mission. And there is also the heroic bravery of the passengers who made a valiant attempt to take the plane back and charged the cockpit. They knew their chances were slim and they decided not to go quietly. They knew they had someone on the flight that was a pilot and could possibly fly the plane. They made a plan despite the hijackers screaming at them to sit down and be quiet, and then they made their move.

After you see this film you'll know what matters to you most in life.

• blondie
    blondie

We saw it last night...good point about minimal music. It was disturbing to see how little prepared the government was to handle this...I'm afraid it would be much the same, if Katrina is any example.

Sobbing from the audience at the end...haven't heard that in years....makes you assess what is important in your life.

Blondie

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

And yet there are people in our midst who think it was all part of a conspiracy on the U.S. government's part!!!!!!!!

• Apostanator
    Apostanator

My wife and I saw it last night. You could hear a pin drop, it was so quiet in the theatre. There were a lot of tears as we were leaving.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    And yet there are people in our midst who think it was all part of a conspiracy on the U.S. government's part!!!!!!!!

Exactly..... when there's sooooo much evidence to the contrary.

• bem
    bem

Thanks Megadude for this post I have been debating on whether to go see it or not. Now I will go see it.

~ Dorothy

• Mary
    Mary

Going to see it tomorrow night. I know I'm going to ball my eyes out, so I'm taking lots of kleenex with me.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I visited the Flight 93 sight in Shanksville, PA in late 2003. It's so amazing...anyone in Pennsylvania; please visit the site!

• Panda
    Panda

MrPanda and I have been debating whether or not to see this film. I am concerned about the Hollywood-ization of a tragedy. But even worse I hate that so many TV shows have erased the twin towers from their intro and credits. Like "we'll help the bastards erase the whole event." We need to remember.

We live not far from the "Alamo City" and I've learned so much about about lost battles and the heroes involved (not always what we were taught as kids).

So now I think we'll go see it. Thanks, Panda

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

i think i wont waste my time going to see it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit