Simple question that I always wondered about?

by omerp 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

In my part of the UK, the council owned cemeteries have seperate sections for the different Christian denominations and a Muslim section. Possibly they have non-religious sections too - I've never really thought about it.

I think most people get cremated here, burial space is in such short supply that they're even considering digging up the very old graves to reuse them

• White Waves
    White Waves

Most in my area were cremated and the few that were buried were buried in non-denominational cemetaries. Of course, these do not allow unique head stones. I knew several who have passed on that wanted unique grave stones but because of their religion could not have them. JWs that were cremated - several families dispersed the ashes at the deceased favorite park or mountain range. I understand this is technically illegal... I don't know for sure.

• Tea4Two
    Tea4Two

The Watch Tower Farm in Wallkill have their own Cemetery.... Some of the anointed are buried there. They put flat grave stones at the head of the grave to identify the ones buried there. I really don't know if anyone but anointed can be buried there.

• omerp
    omerp

Do Jehovah's witnesses visit the cemetery and if they do what according to their religion can be acceptable since they can't pray for their salvation, etc....

• blondie
    blondie

Some JWs visit the gravesite if only to weed it and check on any flowers or bushes they planted. Not every cemetery has staff that does that. The Jews had memorial tombs so I don't think there was anything wrong with knowing where you buried someone, and remembering them.

Blondie

• carla
    carla

I thought jw's had an aversion to being cremated or is it just my jw? Some worry of their bodies not being resurrected or something.

• blondie
    blondie

carla, some oldtimers might have a personal (or regional) distaste for cremation but there is nothing forbidding it in the Bible.

w65 7/1 p. 416 Questions from Readers ***

Since Jehovah does not express disapproval of cremation in the Bible, it remains a matter for personal decision

g76 8/8 p. 28 Is Cremation Proper for Christians? ***

What about Christians today? The fact is that there is no Bible command for or against either burial or cremation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit