are we free?

by nomoreTRUTHplz 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• greendawn
    greendawn

There is nothing wrong about disagreeing and having debates this occurs everywhere in all sectors of life and knowledge and there are countless forums on the internet debating all sorts of subjects.

As long as this is done in a polite and honest manner there is nothing bad about it.

• Terry
    Terry

We are never free of our own desire to have things exactly as we prefer.

Depending on our level of fantasy we might even indulge our imagination by personal belief over and above reality.

The best we can hope for is to develop a highly accurate interpretive skill as our senses are fed backed up by discourse which challenges our interpretation.

Reality always confronts belief.

Reality has a way of popping the delusional bubble and letting the real world flood in to the comfortable fantasy we hide behind.

For example: The Great Disappointment was a collision of reality with religious expectations and hopes and beliefs. Belief lost and reality won.

But, not for long.

People invest their emotional mechanism with fantasy values and won't let go of the imaginary construction which feeds their warm and fuzzy feelings.

All the Adventists and Bible Students who plunged back in to a new fantasy to replace the old one used every ounce of strength to avoid the lessons of reality.

But, we pay the price.

As humans we can do that; we can seek to avoid reality. Look at the quality of a person's life and you see the price they pay for their assumed belief system.

Is their life productive and purposeful in a way that provides them with actual objective results? Or, are they always pretending things are better than they are and that relief is just around the corner?

Humans are free to be irrational. They often are. The mess the world is in stems from clinging to fantasy and deliberately avoiding dealing with objective reality.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Terry,

Very well said.

I think there are two kinds of people in the world. Those who need a little glass of spiritual 'wine' to round off the edges that the harshness life can bring, such as dealing with death and tragedy and then there are those who, because of a rude awaking by a false, exploitive religion can never buy into it again. Maybe it is my misfortune to be one of the latter.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce
    Maybe it is my misfortune to be one of the latter

LOL - yes Bro Gregor .. the burden of religious freedom requires that we think for ourselves .. no wonder my head hurts sometimes

I enjoyed reading about you supp'n with the good-'ol-boys/klan .. I have been in a similar position many times (our indigenous folk are widely condemed here).

cheers, unc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit