me, the apostate attending jw funeral/memorial service

by Lutece67 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Lutece67
    Lutece67

Tomorrow I am going to pay respects to a woman I knew for many years who passed away. I'm not really sad, she was in her 90's and I was surprised she made it so long considering her numerous trips to the hospital. She also was more of a friend of my mom's than mine. I guess you could say I'm doing it more for my mom.

There was no obituary in the paper and she was already buried, but they are having a little memorial at the hall for her tomorrow. I haven't been to that hall in a few years so it shall be interesting to see how they react. My "worldly" fiance will be going with me. I'm kind of excited for him to see how the jw's handle a funeral and also for him to see just how crazy they treat those who have left their religion. He's only heard my horror stories so this ought to be an eye-opener for him. Just thought I'd share...will tell you all how it goes tomorrow night. Anne

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

ah.. your friend will be the target audience!

funeral talks are all aimed at recruiting new members..

sorry for your loss..its sad to see old ones die even though we know its gonna happen.

• geevee
    geevee

All the best in your attendance. One of my peeves is that not many witnesses place obituaries in the paper. Why? Weren't they a loved and respected m,ember of their community? Are'nt they fondly remembered by their loved ones and friends? Wouldn't they be able to give a little "witness" by saying things about awaiting the resurection....blah blah blah?
    Still, hope that it goes well for you.

• Purza
    Purza

Good luck Lutece. Are you anxious at all about entering a KH?

Purza

• Lutece67
    Lutece67

Sort of excited about it, though I keep having ideas (not during a funeral of course) of placing flyers all over with www.jehovahs-witness.com or www.silentlambs.com or causing a ruckus, but I probably wouldn't have the guts. I just want to let them know that I was a friend too and they can ignore me, but they can't deny I'm there.

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

I'm sorry about the loss of your friends mom. Be sure to bring your outline:

FUNERAL DISCOURSE

REMARKS REGARDING THE DECEASED (Use any that apply and are appropriate.)

(Note: Instead of eulogizing the deceased, use the material in this outline to give a fine witness concerning the truth. Good balance should be observed in this respect. Doctrinal points can be presented as beliefs of the deceased, which served as motivation for him. Purpose of talk is to uphold Jehovah God as a God of love and mercy and at the same time bring comfort to the bereaved. Use of a song such as No. 102 (53) or 187 (93) is optional. A brief prayer at the close is fitting. When arrangement is made to go to the grave, it is well to consider quite briefly the hope through Kingdom, reading one or two scriptures, such as Job

S-32 5/88

Details regarding age, birth, when married, and so forth

By whom the deceased is survived

Dedication record, including privileges of service

Exemplary qualities displayed by the deceased (Eccl. 7:1)

THE HOPE THE DECEASED ENTERTAINED

Worshiped Jehovah, the God of wisdom, justice, love, power

Had faith in Jesus Christ (Acts )

Appreciated God's purpose regarding the earth (Gen. 2:7)

Sure to be realized (Isa. 11:9; 55:10, 11; Rev. 21:4)

Why good people die

Disobedience of Adam (Gen. 3:19; contrast with Genesis 2:7.)

Offspring inherited death (Rom. )

Condition of the dead

Soul is mortal (Ezek. 18:4, 20)

Dead are unconscious (Ps. 146:4; Eccl. ; 9:5, 10)

The resurrection hope

Made possible by sacrifice of Jesus Christ (Matt. )

Christ's resurrection a guarantee (1 Cor. , 23)

God uses Jesus to raise the dead (John , 29)

For the anointed, resurrection is to heavenly life (1 Cor. -54; Rev. 20:4, 6)

"Other sheep" resurrected to life in earthly (Luke ; John )

Armageddon survivors can hope to see the deceased one again soon

Others too are in line for resurrection (Acts 24:15)

WHY IT IS GOOD TO GO TO HOUSE OF MOURNING

Can comfort the bereaved; loss is mutual

Take to heart uncertainty of life (Ps. 90:12; Eccl. 7:2)

Makes us think about how we are using our life

HOW WE CAN BENEFIT FROM BEING HERE

While living, make good name with Jehovah God (Eccl. 7:1)

Lay up treasures in heaven (Matt. -21)

One way is to take zealous part in witness work, if qualified (Matt. 24:14; 28:19, 20)

In this way and by godly conduct, we contribute to sanctification of Jehovah's name (Prov. 27:11)

Resurrection hope an incentive to learn and do divine will (1 Cor. )

Printed in USA

Lady Liberty

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

As much as it's fun to do that at a JW function, just remember, it's the deceased's special day, not yours. Do that during business hours, not during office parties.

• Lutece67
    Lutece67

Sorry to give the wrong impression, I certainly know that would be wrong and classless to do at a funeral! I just sometimes think about attending a sunday meeting and leaving flyers all over, but probably at a hall in a different town, one where it won't cause the elders to restrict my mom even further from speaking to me.

• White Waves
    White Waves

I have thought about this topic a lot. I wouldn't attend any JW function in a KH, but a funeral home?? Above comments are correct... it is just a non-personal, recruiting move on the part of the society. When was the last time you heard a personalized funeral - one that really talked about the qualities of the lost one??? It has been decades here... I guess I'll have to decide when the time comes. My elder father and family have never attended a non-JW wedding or funeral. This pisses me off to no end. They use the excuse that JWs don't allow it, LIES. JWs from across the country in our family have attended the same functions. This lends me to believe I will not attend any JW functions to make the point "how does it feel in return?" Is there FAITH so weak that attended a non-jw wedding or funeral will pull them away? I don't get it.

• Lutece67
    Lutece67

The funeral was actually very good. I thought the elder handling it did a nice job of telling some nice stories about her before going into the "why we have the hope of resurrection" talk. I went up to several people I hadn't seen in years and they gave me big hugs. My mother was happy, she didn't have to go and sit by herself (she feels weak and lowly cuz she doesn't go out in service, the guilt you know). There was a big posterboard with pictures all over it. I thought they did a good job. I just wanted to share.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit