questions to ask your BIBLE STUDY CONDUCTOR

by jwfacts 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I have just written the following (long) article. I would appreciate comments and suggestions on things I can add or subtract.

Baptism as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses is a significant step as it is a life time commitment to the Watchtower Society. At Mat 28:18 Jesus commanded that a person be baptised in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. However baptism as a Jehovah’s Witness also stipulates becoming part of the Watchtower organization. The second question for baptism states;

Watchtower 1985 June 1 p.30

"(2) Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization?"

Such a baptism binds you to all Watchtower Society rules, regardless of whether or not they are from the bible or you agree with them. Deviation from the rules or disagreeing with the teachings can lead to a life time of shunning by all your Witness family and friends. As such it is important to be fully aware of what being a Jehovah’s Witness entails, including its history and teachings.

Here are some questions that you should ask your study conductor prior to becoming involved. The aim of these questions is not to have a doctrinal debate, as the conductor will question your motives and will not accept your reasoning. Rather, simply asking thought provoking questions will stimulate educated responses. An occasional comment may be necessary to make sure the answer is logical or correct. Before asking each question it is worth reading the corresponding section on this site, in order know the entire story. The likely answer you will receive appears in red.

Salvation

Who will be saved?

* Everyone in Jehovah’s organisation

So does that means only Jehovah’s Witnesses be saved?

* It is not for us to judge, some other people may yet come to Gods organisation.

So does that mean billions of people will not be saved?

* Possibly.

Why do you think most people are so bad God will destroy them?

* That’s not how we look at it, but the bible does say that a person needs to be part of Jehovah’s organization to be saved.

‘Good’ news of the kingdom

Why do you go preaching?

* Mat 24:14 says "this good news of the kingdom will be preached … and then the end will come."

What is the good news?

* About paradise

And what is the end?

* Armageddon when God destroys the wicked

(So are you saying that the good news Jesus was referring to is that God is soon going to kill billions of people if they don’t become Jehovah’s Witnesses?)

Mediator

Why does the Watchtower teach that Jesus is not our mediator?

* That’s not right, Jesus is our mediator

(I was researching and it definitely says that Jesus is only the mediator for the 144,000, yet the bible says Jesus is mediator for all mankind. (Worldwide Security under the "Prince of Peace" (1986) p.10 - "Likewise, the Greater Moses, Jesus Christ, is not the Mediator between Jehovah God and all mankind. He is the Mediator between his heavenly Father, Jehovah God, and the nation of spiritual Israel, which is limited to only 144,000 members."))

History

When did Jehovah’s Witnesses start?

* There have always been Jehovah’s Witnesses

I thought they were quite a new religion?

* Russell started the Watchtower Society in the 1870’s, but that was prophesied by Jesus who said the virgins would awaken in the last days

But you said there have always been Jehovah’s Witnesses. So who were they before Russell?

* We don’t know but there have always been some worshippers of Jehovah

So which Jehovah's Witnesses did Russell get his teachings from?

* Well no one really, God directed him

Last Days

Why do Jehovah’s Witnesses say Jesus returned in 1914?

* The prophecy of the seven times in Daniel shows the Gentile times started in 607B.C.E. and ending in 1914.

Why is 607 used when virtually all historians and other religions say it was 587 B.C.

* A person should accept what (we interpret) the bible to say over what history says (The Watchtower uses history to arrive at when Jerusalem’s desolation ended, but rejects that same history for calculating when it started)

Jehovah

Why has the New World Translation added the word Jehovah to the New Testament when it does not appear in a single discovered document?

* Since Jehovah appears in the Old Testament of course Jesus must have used it when quoting these scriptures, otherwise the bible would be inconsistent.

Then why doesn’t it appear in any existing manuscripts?

* Because it was removed after Jesus death.

(If God did not prevent his name being removed from the bible how can I trust anything else in the bible?)

Blood

Why don’t Jehovah’s Witnesses have blood transfusions?

* Scriptures like Acts 15:28 show blood must not be used but poured out onto the ground

What parts of blood can be used?

* Minor fractions

Don’t fractions of blood come from stored blood?

* Yes, but using them is a conscience matter

If you can take blood fractions can you donate blood?

* No

(Doesn’t that seem like a double standard?)

Disfellowshipping

I have heard that Jehovah's Witnesses disfellowship and shun people. What are all the reasons?

* 1 Corinthians 5, Fornication, idolatry, apostasy, drunkenness

(How about for gambling, smoking, Christmas and so on, possibly print out the list of over 30 reasons)

What is the process?

* Meet with 3 elders for a Judicial committee

How are people treated and for how long?

* Must not be talked to until they repent

What if they never repent?

* Well they wouldn’t be spoken to again

What about family?

* Family can be spoken to in some circumstances

(That sounds a lot like what cults do)

Trinity

Jehovah's Witnesses don’t worship the Trinity?

* You are correct, we must only worship Jehovah God

But didn’t Jehovah's Witnesses worship Jesus until the 1950’s

* No, they never worshipped Jesus

(I am quite certain that they did, would you like me to find the old references for you)

Directed by Holy Spirit

Does Holy Spirit direct the Watchtower Society when it forms doctrine?

* Yes

Does Holy Spirit direct the Watchtower Society when it appoints elders?

* Yes

(Are elders ever appointed when they have been committing serious wrongs?)

What scripture shows that it would only be the Watchtower Society that is directed by Holy Spirit?

* The parable of the Faithful and Discreet slave showed that in the last days Jehovah would choose a special group of people.

When were they chosen?

* Though the Watchtower Society was formed in the 1800’s it was not until 1919 that they were chosen, once they had cleansed themselves of false doctrine

(But in 1919 they were still teaching about pyramids, and that the resurrection was going to come in 1925, and that Jesus should be worshipped, and celebrating birthdays and Christmas)

Why have there been all these wrong doctrine if holy spirit directs the Watchtower Society?

* Proverbs said that the light would get brighter

(I was reading that the Watchtower said everyone was going to heaven in 1881 and then it would be 1914 and then 1925 and now it is still in the future? A lot of these things sound like it’s a different light, not brighter.)

If you ask these questions several things may happen.

1 - You will be accused of reading lies from apostates.

2 - It may disturb your study conductor and they will not return.

3 - Since a new Witness will not be able to answer the questions satisfactorily they may feel it is due to their own inadequacy and instead bring back a more experienced person such as an elder.

4 - An experienced Witness will not be comfortable being confronted with such questions and is likely to feel that you have bad motives and the study will be terminated.

On the other hand, a searching Witness may be enlightened by your questions, just as you may find it enlightening to observe the response and reactions to your questions.

Knowing these things, is this the type of Organisation that you want to serve?

• EAGLE-1
    EAGLE-1

Great post

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

I like it,

but then I think these questions could cause independent thinking and that's not good so this is bad.

• geevee
    geevee

Hey jwfacts...an interesting bunch of questions. You have put a lot of thought into it. Must get onto your site and download them from there.
    Anything about the so called Governing Body? Even though the term isn't in the Bible? In your section on History, something could be slotted in there, as the FDS always has existed, so logically so too the GB. Who were they before Russell?
    It is a great list. I'd love to get called on when I am away on vacation, and have some fun with the listed questions!!!! ;-))

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

great questions. You could do more re 1914 though, with questions like: Q How long does Jesus rule in heaven for A 1,000 years Q Oh, so that means the 1,000 year reign has already started? A Err, no, not yet. Q So who is the ruler of the world? A Satan is. Q Oh, but I thought the Kingdom started ruling in 1914. A Err, yes it did, but it has not yet extended its rulership to earth. Q So when is the separation of the 'sheep' and the 'goats' A In the future, during the great tribulation. Q So that is when the wheat get separated from the weeds? A Err, no, that has been ongoing since 1914.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Good point GeeVee, I will had not even thought of that, but the GB should be even more readily identifiable than the F&D slave

Yadda that is interesting too, it certainly had me confused.

• carla
    carla

Motives, motives, motives. It always comes down to that doesn't it? 'Why are questioning this? What is your real reason? Where did you get your information from?'

Another thing jw's seem annoyed with is that non jw's say that jw's believe the world is going to end and have predicted it many times. Apparently they are annoyed because they don't say the world will end but a new system will be put in place. Here again we have a definition problem. To non jw's the destruction of the better part of the face of the planet and destruction of 6 billion non jw's (or so) would signify the end of the world as we know it.

• Captain.Stubing
    Captain.Stubing

Hi mate,

I havent yet posted but wanted to say hi and I think the questions youve raised here are very clever and very thought provoking... Good work!

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Welcome Captain and thanks for your comment. I look forward to hearing more about who you are later.

• mdb
    mdb

Ask them why the KH's are compounded with bars, chains and locks and have no windows - why they chain and lock the gates during their meetings?

I know there's a fear of vandalism, but symbolically it looks like they try to keep the public out and the people in; taking the people captive with their deceptive lies.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit