Diet, exercise, post inury -- any suggestions?

by Madame Quixote 11 Replies latest social physical

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

The week before I broke my foot, I resolved to join Weight Watchers and start exercising. Now, I'm still planning to do it, but have a great excuse not to bother with either one right now. And in order to deal with anything, I have to go up and down my staircase to get outside! Luckily, I can put weight on my foot and walk around on it, but the cast throws me off balance, causes some back pain, and it's very tricky without being able to bend my foot at all to get up and down stairs (or chairs or floors). If I had terrific upper body strength and no weight problem, it would probably be a cinch, but no, it's just not. The point is, I need to lose weight and get and stay active, but I'm concerned about hurting myself worse and taking longer to recover. Very frustrating! By the way, I've noticed pain in the uninjured foot, I guess from all the extra stress being put on it.

Trouble is, if I let this get in my way, I may never get on with doing something really healthy and necessary.

I started a small garden early in the spring to encourage my nurturing and healthier eating habits. I have some lovely edible flowers, lettuces, tomatoes, herbs, zuchinnis, strawberries, and red peppers planted. And some cukes waiting to be planted in the yard, but have not been able to do it. I also have a mountain of sunflowers that need to be transplanted out of the garden and into the yard.

So, I'm on the right track, although everything is now a great big hassle due to the cast on my foot which prevents full range of motion, and getting up and down is truly an ordeal because of the excess weight, lack of stamina, and a lack of will, not to mention a little pain. But I've already put so much work into getting this garden started, I can't imagine letting it go to pot!

Anyone who's been through this or knows about recovering from injury and exercising safely? Thanks.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Before starting any exercise routine, you should consult your physician, especially considering you have an on-going injury. If you were to exacerbate an existing injury, your recovery can and will be compromised. I am sure if you check with the doctor whose care you are currently under, they can suggest non-traumtic exercise. I would not recommend you following any suggestions from anyone other then your physician. Even if people have had a similar experience, each individual's injury and healing process is different.

I am sure it is frustrating to be side lined when you were hoping to start an exercise routine. Imagine how much more frustrating it would be if you injury yourself worse by failing to consult with your doctor first before starting an exercise program.

Good luck and healthy healing.

• Mary
    Mary

I agree. Start with your family doctor, but I would also suggest joining Curves for Women. I've lost 80 lbs. so far.......

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

See your doctor....blah, blah,.

Let the foot heal. The "boot" causes your spine to be out of alignment. All the muscles and tendons are sore from the uneven posture it places on your whole frame. Now is not the time to do a bunch of walking or standing.

Eat healthy. Look at each food for its source of goodness. Don't feel bad if you have a glass of milk or a bowl of frozen yogurt. They are a great source of calcium....and may be needed for your foot to heal. There are no "bad" foods, only "healthy" or "unhealthy" ones What you eat will help heal your body - so think of your body/foot as a precious baby you are nurturing. I like the idea of home grown veggies. Our farm lands are wiped of vitamins and minerals...

Perhaps you can do upper body workouts? While watching TV with your foot on the pillow - maybe you can do some hand weights or upper body stretches. You can also follow along with a excercise video - but just do the upper body movements while you are sitting down.

• talley
    talley

Once the cast is off your foot, you might consider swimming pool therapy.

Check with the Physical Therapy dept. at your local hosp. to learn where a warm water (85+F) pool is located.

Three years ago I was told I needed a hip replacement. I doubled my glucosamine/chondroitin and cod liver oil and found out about pool therapy. I got a couple of books out of the library about aquatic exercise/fitness, and went to a local motel that had a pool.
    After the exercises, one of which is just to walk forward and backward in chest deep water, I just dog paddled around alot, played with my other swiming strokes, and to get some areobic workout I went into the deep water end (only needs to be about 5' deep for me) and worked my legs as if I were riding a bicycle. My porgram was completely unstructured but really helped. After 3 months of water work and losing only 10#, (I'm 5'0", 165# so I am very heavy too) I no longer needed the cain.

This past Fall and Winter I did not go and somehow my clothes got really tight and yet my weight stayed the same; and between my bad knee and hip, I could tell I had put on fat and lost muscle mass. Just this week I started at the pool again and can feel the difference already, espcially the more refreshing sleep and I 'feel' stronger. When I used to go to the pool at least twice a week, I slept much better, was more mentally alert, energetic and positive, and found that my endurance and muscle tone were maintained and even improved.

talley/Judy

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

Thanks everyone for all the info. I agree with you about not re-injuring myself. After the cast comes off, I'll start going to the Y down the road from me for a few swims or something. Until then, I'll just try to lay off the fatty things and enjoy the veggies & fruits as much as possible. Maybe I'll start Weight Watchers this week. Thanks again!

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

I was born with a genetic illness that this diet has done much to heal.

Living and Raw Foods: The largest community on the internet for living and raw food information

If it interests you they have links to all sorts of info on the net.

Get Well

Love~Kate

• Mary
    Mary

Kate, I agree.......I believe that eating fresh fruits, vegetables and whole grains is probably the best way to eat for our health. It's just so damn hard to eat that way when we're constantly being tempted!!!

• beksbks
    beksbks

If you are not one of those antiChiropractor people, I strongly suggest you go see one after the "boot" comes off. I had a cast on my foot for 6 weeks, and I continued to work and run around. It makes you so lopsided, and puts so much stress on your hips and "good" leg and foot, you really should get an allignment after it comes off. I am sure that 6 weeks is what led to my eventual back problems.

As far as diet goes, stay away from processed and "white" foods. Drink LOTS of water.

Congratulations to you Mary!!

• Thegoodgirl
    Thegoodgirl

Wow, how frustrating. I have never had such a serious injury, but I did sprain (?-not officially diagnosed) my ankle in January. I was really planning to run my first marathon this year, but every single time I ran, even half a block, I was limping from the ankle pain the next day. A doctor I worked with told me that I was probably re-injuring it every time I ran. So I tried to be easy on it for last few months, and taking anti-inflammatories (Advil, naproxen) for the swelling that leads to pain.

Now it's less bothersome, though pain is still there. My goal now is to just walk 30 mins to one hour every day for the next week. After that, I'll see if I can add jogging. But just the walking has helped me to re-build the muscles so that I have more support, and can avoid re-injury.

A broken foot? Totally different story, but don't give up! Have you been prescribed physical therapy? You probably will be after the cast is removed. Tell them your concerns and weight loss goals. They'll love to be a part of that. ( I know I love helping people lose weight. It's one of the few medical conditions that can be totally reversed!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit