Bethel rules... fables or truth...

by MrMoe 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Eyebrow
    Eyebrow

Speaking of Bethel....
    Does anyone else here remember the Watchtower study article several years ago that talked about physical cleanliness, and used Bethel as an example that we should all follow? I remember sitting, thinking, yeah, it sure would be easy to keep my apartment clean if someone else was doing all my and my son's laundry, and fixing the food too.

• blondie
    blondie

I can remember a brother saying that when he went to NewBoy school that they even instructed you on how to "flush thoroughly."

Matthew 23

"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence.

Blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup and dish, and then the outside also will be clean.

"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of dead men's bones and everything unclean.

In the same way, on the outside you appear to people as righteous but on the inside you are full of hypocrisy and wickedness.

• Michael3000
    Michael3000

D Wiltshire:

Sophie was endearing to some, a pain in the ass to others (like me). I was sick with a serious cold once, & she came to my room around 8:30am(!) to see how bad I was - and yes, she did try to con me into going to work! She said she'd be back around noon too see if I was any better (as if my severe cold would magically clear up in 3 hours!), and that if I was, I should go to work. Right!

And those of us who were there know of Sophie's "cure-all": GARGLE WITH WARM SALT WATER. Now, I realize this is a great home remedy that actually works for soothing a sore throat, or helping to get rid of infection - but I think Sophie would have had you gargle with salt water if you had a compound leg fracture!

She was a pip - probably dead, now - I was at Bethel in the mid- to late 80's, & she was pretty old then.

--Michael

"Any day spent NOT knocking on doors is a good day!"

• Winston
    Winston

Michael3000,

D wiltshire here.

Yeah I was in around 74-76 and I think maybe took off about 5 or 6 sick days total.
    She pissed me off so much that I took a couple of extra days off just because I didn't like to be question whether I was sick or not.
    I figured I was volunteer and shouldn't be put through the third degree to prove I was sick.

Any way when they got rid of the 4 year requirement I left to get married.
    I didn't want to be dependant on the Society for my food or shelter.

Former elder turned apostate (by WT definition)[:)}and proud of it!

• Moxy
    Moxy

heh, my favourite bethelite BA phrase for when getting pressured to get back to work from sickness, lunch, rec time etc.

"dock my pay."

mox

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Btt.

Bangalore

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit