The song book

by KW13 10 Replies latest social humour

• KW13
    KW13

lol, i was thinking...how long before folks get sick of the same songs time and time again...will they ever get a new book?

i reckon some NWA instrumentals wouldn't go a-miss

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I must admit it has been many years sine we had a new Songbook - we are due a new one

• POs Son
    POs Son

1984 was the last new song book, if I recall. The Brown one.

A new version would probably be welcome, but then everyone would gripe about songs they don't know how to sing.

• blondie
    blondie

The last songbook came out in 1984, 22 years ago. The rank and file were getting tired of same old songs then but they were shocked when some of the old favorites disappeared...probably due to copyright issues and that the composer went "apostate."

I don't think the WTS has the people with the ability to write the "approved" type of songs that are required today.

They keep this little outdated phrase in:

*** Ssb song 91 Being Taught by Jehovah ***

And keep in step with present truth,

So many JWs are discouraged from taking music in school, let alone composition. Maybe George Benson and Prince can jazz up the songs for the next book.

Blondie

• juni
    juni

We were fortunate to have a baby grand piano at our Hall. Then they did away with playing live music and it was all canned. Even at the assemblies. Also, the sisters who played the baby grand would add some tasteful embellishments until they got reamed out for it by the CO.

Then we all droned on to the canned music.............it was horrible.

Juni

• KW13
    KW13

other thing is...i bet no one realises what they are singing.

For example song number 8 says "loyal submission in recognition...this to our God we owe" - note LOYAL and SUBMISSION then the society put them out as doing what God wants.

Hey JW's...your following the society!!

alt

• blondie
    blondie

I was the sister who did the embellishments on the grand piano.

I was pissed when I got to Bethel and saw that a Bethelite was playing the piano at the assemblies...he played like he had boots on his hands too.

Blondie

• Cognitive_Dissident
    Cognitive_Dissident

The congregation I grew up had like five or six sisters, and one brother(gasp!), that would play the piano at meetings. I used to get excited when either of two sisters would play, because they would not necessarily embellish, but they played with such emotion. Our congregation held out for a while after most halls had switched over to the boring-ass recorded shite, but once we finally did, I remember losing a lot of the enjoyment that I got from singing at the meetings.

One of the quickest ways to find out if somebody you know used to be a witness is to hum a few bars from a kingdom song and see if their ears perk up.

CD

• Cognitive_Dissident
    Cognitive_Dissident

Maybe George Benson and Prince can jazz up the songs for the next book.

If Prince and Larry Graham redid the songbook, I might consider popping in every now and again just to hear song 171 with funky guitar and slap bass. That song could have a killer bassline.

• White Waves
    White Waves

Our hall had a pianist too. Several people also practiced their string instruments and would occasionally accompany the pianist. The pianist would also let younger ones practice small parts on the piano so they could join her when playing for the hall. The DO put an end to all live music one year. A few years later when we build a new KH, the piano must have been sold. Also, when I was younger I loved it on Thursdays when one of the songs was sung in a special way. The brother would the the congregation which group would sing the next portion (now, sisters! now, children!, etc.) The kids usually got the repetious portions. It was fun. That was ended too - an announcement from the stage explained that it took away from seriousness of the message and purpose of the meetings. Over the years the WBTS just keeps killing any joy a JW can get out of life. I guess you do have to suffer now to be in order to please the WBTS. I was frustrated with my wedding because only JW music was allowed. I don't see why I couldn't have had some classical music played or live JW music. Also, the audience was not allowed to sing to any of the JW songs. We were going to have copies of a few songs on each seat.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit