Should oil companies sacrifice for the country too?

by DavidChristopher 16 Replies latest social current

• DavidChristopher
    DavidChristopher

seems this is beginning to look like a crackhead/dealer relationship...shouldn't we be trying to wean ourselves from this addiction of oil?

If the we go down, so do the oil companies here. Is this a case of selling the house to prevent pawning the TV to make the house payment?

How far does it have to go for change?

• zeroday
    zeroday
    shouldn't we be trying to wean ourselves from this addiction of oil?

Americans are the most wasteful nation on the earth. As long as oil was cheap we saw no need to conserve or develop new technologies to lessen our dependence on foreign oil. We live in a throw away society. Car giving you problems, throw it away and get another one. We will not change our wasteful ways till there is pain, alot of pain and it is coming. And not to soon.

• G Money
    G Money

Oil companies? hahahahahahaha

hahahahahaha
    hahahahaha

hahahahahah

hahahahaha

hahahahahah

Um if you were filthy rich and a crack dealer, would you give crack for free?

• upside/down
    upside/down

For all the hate spewed toward Americans for being conspicuous consumers wasteful... Do you know what would happen if we stopped consuming? ****like no one else wastes...give me a break****

The world would be fucked as we know it...

Of course you lib assmunches would just love to see that wouldn't ya...?

When the money stops flowing (like it or not)....that's what causes a recession...possibly a depression.

Sorry people...the "Paradise" is just a dream... stop trying to make that Communist/Religious "carrot" a reality...I wont' work. You gotta STOP READING THE AWAKE....it's NOT university level...you were lied to... Take some night classes instead, you'll be glad you did!

u/d

• zeroday
    zeroday

MMM not sure but I think you should switch to DECAF.

I am as much a capitalist as the next American believe me. But we are a wasteful nation. This nation has the technology and resources to free ourselves from foreign oil dependence but we have been TO LAZY to do it. Consume yes, all for it. Wasteful, not necessary.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Universities? Sports Teams?

Have you plotted the increase in home prices, university tuition or sports payrolls (or the sales price of teams) against inflation. Oil companies aren't the only ones making big bucks by a long shot. Those three examples came to my mind in about 10 seconds. I'm sure there are a lot more.

• Odrade
    Odrade

Conflicted on this one, but if the oil prices keep going up, it will force Americans to re-think their love of mega-large vehicles. People will be less inclined to drive big simply for the sake of size, and you will see trucks and SUVs return to being utilitarian vehicles used by people with very large dogs and a chop-saw. Maybe. What do I know. Only that it cost $37 to fill up my Honda Accord last week, and I'm the only one riding around in it 70% of the time. What a waste.
    My husband now rides public transportation nearly every day. I have to drag too much stuff back and forth to my office to use the bus, but I certainly could use a more gas-economical car.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Finally, out of the people posting in this thread, Odrade has made some sense. High prices are part of the market mechanism that will sort the problem out. It happened in the 70s, forcing Americans to downsize to compact, more efficient cars. And the high prices and profits encouraged oil companies to explore and prove up more reserves. This time, if oil really IS running out (and we've heard that tune before), the high prices will make other energy sources more viable.

I don't recall anyone volunteering to subsidise the oil companies when they were taking it on the chin with oil at $11 a barrel during the 90s. Why should they now give up their profits in the good times? They're businesses, FFS, not the social outcome arm of government. Besides, they ARE sharing their profits, by hiring more people, paying more tax on windfall profits, spending more on exploration, extraction and conservation, and they are doing quite well for the members of pension and investment funds that hold oil company stock.

Stephanus,

of the "Give business a break - it's paying the taxes that keep the roof over my head" class

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Should oil companies sacrifice for the country too? ABSOLUTLEY THEY SHOULD

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

http://www.corpwatch.org/article.php?id=13310

This is just unbelievable!!!

Swalker

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit